Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Theme Thursday: Animal :Feline Companions






Photos and Text Property of E.
March 12, 2009.
My animal companions---Phoebe, Angel and Jacob---mean the world to me. They are all foundlings, and the two girls have never known another human friend or family.
Angel, the geriatric Siamese, is thirteen, and was no bigger than the center of my hand when I found her in a garbage bin years ago. I righted it and out she came---a furry ball of fawn fiestiness, yowling at the world for a crumb, her blue eyes fixed on me from the start.
She has always been high strung and vocal. It took me several years to convince her she did not have to search our kitchen garbage bin for scraps.
Phoebe, a black shadow, is a mix born of feral parents and brought indoors. She doesn't like anyone but me and climbs to the highest spot in our apartment to avoid guests. She's a ham with the other cats, and lives up to the word princess in every sense. Her favorite spot is my lap.
Jacob, the handsome black and white tux, is a gentleman. Affectionate and sociable, he spent months as an orphan before I brought him home on my birthday four years ago. He was an adult then, and the girls were miffed for months over his inclusion in our family, but with one well-aimed swipe of his front paw, he chose me.
Once a cat selects a human, the human has little choice. The love and faith of a cat isn't easily bestowed, particularly if the cat has been abused, orphaned or left to its own devices. Jacob guards the girls and me from intruders. He loves to cuddle and play and is a fanatic for unattended salad greens.
All came with health problems and though indoor, developed and carry feline herpes virus, a highly contagious airborne disease that remains in the cat's body after initial exposure. All receive medication daily. Happily, this trio hasn't had an outbreak in months. They eat well and chase each other around the apartment with an abandon I often envy. Angel and Phoebe, star soccer divas, swoop and dive for balls of paper at every opportunity.
Their lives spared, these three provide hours of fun and lend an element of grace and comfort to our small abode. I believe that we were gifts given to each other, and I wish that humans had more respect for the animals and other life forms on this whirling planet we call home.
Until Next Time...




















25 comments:

Kris McCracken said...

I couldn't agree more!

Anonymous said...

Those Siamese sure do live a long time. A family member had two that lived well into their 20's! Despite the temperment of some cats, they are still a great companion to have. Princess had four, 'til one ran off. Guess it finally got tired of the competition.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i can't imagine life without my animal companions.

thanks for introducing us to phoebe, angel and jacob.

my 4 cats range in age from 10 to 16 -so they are all getting up there...but seem to be going strong.

i never heard of feline herpes, yikes.

sweet cats, sweet e!!

dw said...

Nice blog!
I enjoyed meeting your cats, and reading your sweet post.

Squirrel said...

Cats are my favorite animal.

I have a few guys just like Jacob.

Dakota Bear said...

Wonderful cats! We are cat people. Presently I don't have a cat of my own, but I have three grandcats.

Megan said...

Lovely felines you have there, e. Cheers to you for saving them and for keeping them well. I admire you more each day that goes by. :)

And I agree, the cat chooses you, you don't, but don't, choose the cat!

Baino said...

I love cats but when my 17 year old siamese died, I didn't have the heart to replace her for fear a newcomer might attack the parrots in the garden. So I opted for a dog . .too slow for birdnapping!

Ronda Laveen said...

Here here!

karen said...

thanks for the lovely descriptions of your cats.. we also have a geriatric semi-siamese, who is 15 this year!

I can't imagine not having 3 cats at home, they really are stressbusters!

Fire Byrd said...

Great post, made me smile

I used to always have cats till my eldest son got allergic to them!

My rescue dog, who's been with my youngest son and me for 7 weeks, got into my house, sighed and lay down on the floor and let me tickle her under chin. She just knew. For the first 4 weeks I'd have cheerfully sent her back to the rescue place, but now.... No chance!
x

Mrsupole said...

I have never heard of feline herpes, I am glad that there is medicine. My two cats are indoor and outdoor cats, they are fixed, and so just stay around the house, but do go to the neighbors sometimes. Now I think I might should worry about them. But it is too late to change their habits. I love my cats so much and you are right about them choosing. They do not like strangers and will not go to them.

The three of them are very lucky to have you. God bless.

bulletholes said...

I never cared for cats...
then a few years back there was a pitiful little orange marmalade cat that no one at my apartments liked....in fact, it seemed like people went out of their way to neglect this cat, so i started leaving it some milk.
Thats all it took...
I named him TopCat after the cartoon character from when I was a kid, and that cat just loved me.
I ended up buying a Litter box and a food bowl and Tender vittles and what my friend Lily called 'Cat toys".
lily was part of the reason I took in the cat, because I thought if I could show a little love for TopCat, Lily might show a little love for me.
It almost worked....
Topcat repaid my kindness by bringing me dead birds and fresh baby squirrels and even a big Rat one day.
Also, Topcat showed his affection by digging his nails into my inner thighs in an attempt to make some kind of Cat love to me.
Then, one day Lily informed me that Top Cat was not a boy, but a girl. We changed his name (her name ) to Blondie.
Then, Dana said it was not a girl cat, but a neutered boy. I don't know who was more confused, me or the cat, but what really finally put me over was the litter box, because when she, him, it went to take a dump, lord-a-mercy you'd a thought a 200 pound goat was in there.
So TopCat/Blondie/Boy George had to go.
I ran him out with a broom one day. Cat had to go, and I'll never forget the surprised hurt look on its face.
But the story has a happy ending because Jackie at the apts. had seen what a great cat he/she could be, and while sghe didn't want him, she had a boyfriend that did and last I heard they were a real happy couple, him and that cat.

I'd never loved a cat before, but i did love that one.
Thats my cat story!

Brian Miller said...

our cat treats our boys like her kits. bothering after them, always curious what they are doing. if we could just get her to stop playing with their feet in the middle of the night...

Candie said...

They are so cute.Great names they have too!

Bleu Mariane said...

They seems like three old friends. Nice post.

Skybridge Studios said...

My sister had a Siamese cat as we were growing up... I'll never forget that cat's voice. Eyow!

Leah said...

What lovely faces.

Patrice said...

Wonderful, wonderful cats and I love how you describe them in such a loving way.

I am curious about the herpes medication you use as I have one cat with chronic herpes eye infections. I was told to just continue treating symtomatically (eye ointment) and to add L - Lysine to her food ever day. She seems to be gradually losing ground in spite of the treatments: sneezing, coughing and tearing.

Anonymous said...

Cats are amazing creatures- I am so glad your 3 bring you so much pleasure.

I can't keep cats because of my allergy- so, although a dog-owner first and foremost, I have to admit cats are the smarter!

karen said...

Hi E - there's an award for you on my blog, today! :)

Evening Light Writer said...

What a nice little family you have here. I never tired of eharing about people's pets. I've learned that no matter how cranky or gruff some of our patrons can be, if you ask them about their 1) pets or 2) grandchildren, they will light up!

Matt Grimmitt said...

Hi e, what a great post. Thought it was about time I dropped by and said hello.

Mo and The Purries said...

Nice to meet you!
So glad that you have provided a loving home for these lovely cats!
You can meet my furry kids over at their blog: Purrchance To Dream
Thanks, too, for your visit to House Panthers!
cheers,
mo

lettuce said...

nice to meet your furry friends