Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Life's Reading Revisited

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.
----Charles W. Eliot

This posting was inspired by a number of other Bloggers, notably Red Dirt Mule, Reya, Megan, Steve and Avid Reader. All recalled their childhood books with ease, resulting in a cascade of memories for yours truly.

First, let me confess to never having read The Secret Garden adored by so many. My earliest memories involve trips to the library on Saturdays. We lived three thousand miles beyond the U.S. and packages were always a treat. Mine, which came regularly, were selections from a Children's Book of the Month Club, and a magazine, still available today, Highlights for Children. I also sometimes received books as gifts. The Little Prince, Charlotte's Web, and E. B. White's Stuart Little, among them.

My grandmother, who lived relatively close by, saved her children's well-read books, hence I was also privy to the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew series, as well as Brr Rabbit, The Jungle Book, Ba bar and a host of others. They were kept in a large hall closet. I discovered many of them on my own just by being a bit nosey!

Later, teachers offered books as prizes for well-learnt spelling words, successfully completed projects and rises in reading levels. Some of these enticements included Little Women, A Tale of Two Cities, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Hans Christian Andersen, Bullfinch's' Mythology and Call of the Wild. The brother's Grimm and their fairy tales stood beside my very first dictionary, later supplanted by Roget's Thesaurus and a book of Alice Walker poems.

My first attempt at serious adult reading occurred at fifteen when I tackled the '70's classic, The Greening of America, by Robert Reich, for a school report. I also read books on the history of Panama, collections of Latin American authors, and Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, for good measure.

I regularly read before bed, and have developed eclectic interests and tastes, largely due to early habits and accessibility to books and magazines. Red Dirt Mule's contention that books are magical and can bound the world for curious children was true for me as well. I have scores of teachers, librarians and friends and relatives to thank for my life time of reading, a gift people often take for granted.

One of the darkest books I've read recently involves a woman who is illiterate until she is sent to a German prison, largely for making horrible choices in an effort to hide both her illiteracy and the shame she feels surrounding it.

My fondest dream is that everyone learn to read and love reading. Without that love, we all will assuredly be lost, our world and perspectives barren of ideas, creativity or the pleasure of learning.

Until Next Time...

17 comments:

Avid Reader said...

I love this post--I liked Highlights too-- and didn't read The Secret Garden til I was older. My older siblings gave me Uncle Remus and Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew... those were much loved at one point or another. The book club you speak of may have been the one run by Parent's Magazine.

A neighbor gave us these ancient books--Billy Whiskers--a goat who always got into trouble. Vivid illustrations.

My oldest sister read Fairy tales to me a lot and bought me a little book called "Fifty famous Fairy Tales" I nearly cried when I found a copy of it at a yard sale. It was a cheap Whitman Pub. book, but I loved it. They'd re-publish it with new cover art every so often so I have yet to find the exact cover I had.






I can't imagine a life without reading (or without a cat)
I could give up many foodstuffs and habits, live in a hovel, but never give up reading for pleasure.

e said...

Thanks for your comment--your remark about Billy Whiskers and Uncle Remus brings back my first encounter with The Billy Goats Gruff, unless I'm remembering the name wrong. My book club days started about 1964, so I've no idea. My mother was a teacher in primary grades, so she taught kids to read, and there were always books at home. We did not have tele
vision until I was about eight.

Avid Reader said...

I love the Three Billy Goats Gruff-- we even played it as a game on this little bridge that spanned a shallow creek that was often dried up. Lettuce in London mentioned it in a post a while ago and I had forgotten all about it--she stirred up a lot of great memories just mentioning that one story.

it's fun when you have a story and can "play it out" in a game. Me and a friend both read all the Pippi Longstocking books and then played at being Pippi.

e said...

Pippi was also one of my favorites, which I'd forgotten about until you mentioned it. I always loved that she was so independent and without parents, a kid in my neighborhood had the books translated into Spanish and would read them to his grandmother...

red dirt girl said...

oh wow .... e!

this is beyond fantastic .. this is just .. WOW. I'm starting to think we might have been twins separated at birth - the same books, children's mag. (always pick one up to show my youngest whilst waiting at dr.'s offices) ... Br'r Rabbit? no joke. I thought I was the only red dirt mule to read each night (still do) before sleep....

Maya got me through my early 30's ... Alice I loved but fell apart over ... ummm ... that very difficult to read book she wrote (sorry!)

And ohhh - fairy tales. My grandmother also had a shelf of children's books from my mom's childhood. One of my favs was published by the Pet Co. famous for its condensed milk and evaporated milk products??? It had the most glorious illustrations. sigh.

ok. enough about me. thank you for sharing in such a delightful to read way.. and you did not need any fancy graphics to paint such a beautiful word picture.

xoxo
rdm

Squirrel said...

I like that Eliot quote a lot, so true. The saddest book I've ever read was Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. It made me cry. Very hard to continue reading. Books on the holocaust still have the power to totally shock me and are hard to read also.

Anonymous said...

Great post that brings back so much. I still have a lot of the older ones( which are being introduced to a new generation ). It's great to be able to just crawl into a book. Become one with the story. Let your imagination take hold.

Anonymous said...

I love reading too- and being part of a 'reading group'. And one of the greatest joys of becoming a mother was being able to discover and read aloud new and wonderful books for young children- like 'Each Peach, Pear, Plum', 'Are we nearly there yet?', the Alfie Stories and Beatrix Potter (my absolute favoutire is the Tale of Samuel Whiskers)

e said...

RDM,
Glad you like the posting. and hope you're having a great day. Thanks for your nice words regarding the death of my former classmate. He was a real sweet guy--a tragedy of our car culture-dying in an accident...

Squirrel: The book I make reference to in the Reading posting in which one of the characters is illiterate is a halocaust novel recently made into a film. I had the same reaction as you in reading Wounded Knee as well. Books and stories as well as history really have the power to move human thought, if the reader is willing...

Subtorp77-Becoming one with the story is one of many joys we can have in life...

Cinnamon--your reading group and Blog look very interesting. Seeing things through kid eyes is fascinating too because they don't censor their reactions. I loved the Potter books myself.

bulletholes said...

My first two books were "The Duck on the Truck" and 'Chicken Little".
Then about the 4th Grade I discovered those Biograpyhies of famous people and I read them all.
Tehen i tried to read Ivanhoe in the 6th grade to impress my English Teacher, whom I had fallen nadly in love with.

My daughter was 6 when she figured out she could really read. She was very excited, and came running into the kitchen with a book aboutr horses hollerin' out 'Mommy, I can REALLY READ" and her mother was so proud!

Megan said...

Yay books! Yay reading! Yay e!

My nieces and nephew are almost old enough to really read to, I mean beyond the short bedtime stories that they have been getting up to now. Can't wait to share some of my treasures with them...

e said...

Bullet--

Your daughter has quite a way with words, so all that reading she was so proud to do really gave her a good foundation. Your son sounds like a hoot...What's the expression about the apple not falling far from the tree?

Which Biography stuck with you???

Megan,

Thanks! How's the Rankin read???

Pamdog said...

Black Beauty was one of my favorite kid books. I read it more than once. Later I also got into A hundred and one Dalmations.

These days I tend to find an author I like and devour everything in their repertoire. My latest fixation was Richard Paul Evans. I find his simple, spiritual love stories a soothing antedote to the latest news of the day.

Reading provides an alternate reality; a parallel universe to keep company with real life. I almost always have a book going.

Pamela

Sherry Dale Rogers said...

Hello, I like this post. My family celebrated Valentines Day 2day and to bring back memories...I got two books by Sheal Siverstien. My favorite as a young child was "The Giving Tree"

Cyndy said...

What a great post! As a child I was an avid reader. I read all of the books for kids mentioned here except for The Secret Garden. The Reader was an excellent movie - I wish I had time to read the book.
I wonder if you remember a biography series for children from the 1960s? The books were blue and the illustrations were all in silhouette style. I always thought it would be interesting to go back and read some of those but I have no idea what the name of the series is.

lettuce said...

Impossible - and awful - to imagine a world without books.

I read mainly before sleep, but am trying to make time to read (for pleasure rather than work) at other points in the day. It always makes me feel as though I am on holiday!

e said...

Hi Lettuce, Dale, Cyndy and Pam,

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your comments. Books offer us so much, whether its knowledge, a change in perspective, a juicy plot, a chance to visit a place we've only heard of, humor or a holiday, as Lettuce says.

I've a couple more reading posts up my sleeve. I also loved Shel Silverstein and The Giving Tree, but do not recall the biography series.

I hope you will all visit again, I enjoy reading your Blogs as well.