Friday, February 13, 2009

More On Reading...



Photo and Text Property of E.

The New York Times recently reported on a study of American reading habits. Done by the National Endowment for the Arts, the study cast a quasi-revealing eye on the fact that more adults since 1982 are reading, and more of us, it seems, have an appetite for novels and works of literature than for plays or drama. To link to the article from the New York Times, visit http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/books/12reading.html?_r=1.

There is much speculation as to why more of us are reading, although the figures remain lower than they were in 1982. Academics posit that anything from changes in healthcare to escapist reading in tough times, may underlie the change. They even suggest that those involved in the study might not include reading online or via kindle, or reading done for work or school as reading.

While there is also a nod to greater use of the library as the economy continues to sour, nowhere does the piece how long people have been reading for recreation, and whether they identify themselves as lifelong readers.

For now, I'm instigating an informal poll amongst Bloggers and their loved ones:

What do you read and how often do you read?

When was the last time you tackled a literary work, play, novel, non-fiction piece, short story, or even the editorial pages of your local papers?

I expect that since the Blogging community is language-driven, we are all highly interested in reading, and would like to have views on this topic. For the curious, I'm currently reading a mystery by Carol Nelson Douglas, a book on theology by Abraham Joshua Heschel and a book by Augusten Burroughs. I am also launching a list of Recommended Blogger Reads.

Until Next Time...












10 comments:

Squirrel said...

I read every day, probably the minimum over the entire day would be 2 hours of reading. I read plays infrequently, probably only 4-6 per year. I used to read a lot more plays and poetry than I do now.
I use the library a lot.

right now I have 4 books I'm juggling. A biography I just started and only plan to read part of, a novel I'm almost finished with, a textbook on sociology (dipping into it for fun, not for a class) and
Jon Krakauer's 'Under The Banner of Heaven.' I'm also dipping into various history books on NY State.


My loved ones read a lot also, my significant other is juggling a couple of novels and a couple of nonfiction books. Between the two of us, we get a lot of newspapers, around four different papers a day. The kids in our family read novels one or two at a time, and also read a lot of computer related and 'How To' books.

My best friends are always reading something.

Megan said...

I read every day, too.

I just finished the chocolate bunnies (hilarious!) and have been working my way thru Team of Rivals for quite some time, and also Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples (he's fun to read, what a great style!).

I like to have something 'light' and something 'heavy' at the same time.

I'm actually planning a trip to the used bookstore tomorrow to look around...

e said...

Squirrel and Megan,

Thanks for stopping by. Megan, I left a lengthy posting on your Blog, an alternative view from the others presented. Sorry if it seems a bit of a rant. Perhaps it will spur further discussion?

Delwyn said...

Hi e, tis Delwyn. I am reading 'Princess Masako - prisoner of the chrysanthemum Throne' by Ben Hills( I am interested in all things Japanese)
I am struggling with 'Wanting' by Tasmanian novelist and activist Richard Flanagan who wrote 'Gould's book of fish.'

I read the 'Australian' cover to cover each day, and the local rags 3 times per week.

and poetry or haiku as often as I find it,

non fiction whenever I need to research or follow an interest.

Recently I re-read a book that gave me huge pleasure years ago... to find out my present reactions to it look my blog for 'The incredible lightness of Being...

I have to end the day with a read, no matter how tired I am I always go to bed with a book...

red dirt girl said...

hi 'e' -

i read every day before i fall asleep at night. habit from childhood days and it is pleasurable! currently reading P.D. Jame's The Private Patient and The Feeling Good Handbook by David D. Burns, M.D.

I read novels; I recently purchased a book of essays; And i've been reading a lot of poetry on the 'net.

When I belonged to a book club, we always tackled literature. My last attempt was Lolita by Nabakov. I gave it up approximately 3 chapters before the end.

Funny you should mention a recommended book list. I've been considering writing a post regarding books I DON'T recommend. Just to be different. Ha.

I think The Book Thief has been the best story I've read this year. Author: Markus Zusak.

xxx
rdm

goatman said...

"Blue Highways" by
William Least-Heat Moon (a local guy), St Louis Post, New York Times (when we can get one), and the Fitzgerald short story about Benjamin Button.
Presently

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i read every day..... the amount of time i read varies somewhat widely but I would say my minimum is similar to squirrels - 2 hours.

i always have at least a couple books going - and that is not counting the an ongoing audio book which I play on cd player in the studio so I can listen to a book while I work.

right now i'm reading firmin and the soul of a chef and i'm listening to flesh and blood by john harvey.

within the last couple weeks i completed two books that i heartily recommend - the first is wally lamb's latest - is a a tour de force and it continues to be in my mind even though i've finished two books since finishing it. the other amazing book i read is d. dean's book the madonnas of leningrad which takes place during the seige of leningrad and is a story which shifts btw the present and the past (i'm particularly fond of stories that can do this seamlessly.....ann benson's books are great at that in my humble opinion)

thanks to reya i read the new yorker regularly as on her urging i became a subscriber - i only wonder why it took me until i was 52 years before i started subscribing - i can't imagine now not getting the new yorker!

i just now read your other reader's comments and must chime in with saying under the banner of heaven was a book that has stuck with me years after reading it....another monumental book and very educational .... i also have loved everything i read by william least heat moon -

ah so many books.... and never enough time to read all i want.

both my daughter and partner are avid readers and all of us are eclectic readers enjoying fiction, non-fiction....and flitting about many genres....mysteries, sci-fi, memoir, biographies, history, 'literature'

i don't read the newspaper as much as i used to.... but i can always count on f to keep me informed of good articles in the nytimes as he is religious about reading the times....

all my friends like to read. i would be lost without the companionship and bookchatting that takes place among my 'bookwomen' friends (what my bookgroup calls itself but there are several bookwomen friends that see each other frequently not just for book group meetings and inevitably we talk about what we are reading anytime we get together)

good luck with your poll....look forward to your analysis!

tut-tut said...

e: I read all the time. I like quirky novels that exhibit a wry sense of humor. I rarely read nonfiction anymore; if I do, it is usually food related or a memoir. I find that before turning out the light before sleep, I read some armchair travel kind of book.

As does Kim, I subscribe to the New Yorker and find it is packed to the gills with such good writing that an ancient copy, found at the bottom of the pile of papers, is just as pertinent and interesting as this week's copy.

D is always reading science related materials.

L enjoys novels written by non–North Americans.

e said...

Delwyn,

Nice of you to stop by. I will attempt some found poetry when I get time. I will also re-read The Incredible Lightness of Being, at some point. Now though, I've an entire bag of books, everything from novels to memiors to paleantology, and three magazines, including The Economist. Perhaps you can share how people in Victoria are doing since the wildfires and what is happening with the investigation??? I look at BBC for a lot of international newa since our media outlets don't do as well reporting it.

Megan,

I went to a store in OC. I think it was called Bookman? I loved it!

RDM--The Book Thief was also recommended by people at my synagogue, and I have a copy as of today. I also like PD James.

Goatman, Ihave never heard of William Least Heat Moon, but will check out his books. Thanks.

Mouse, my pics were not taken in Texas, and neighborhoods with trees like these are not common in this neck of the woods because people prefer the manicured lawn look. I like the trees because I read somewhere that they provide oxygen for the planet. Additionally, I find them soothing to the spirit. Thanks for sharing your reads.

Tut-Tut, I'm so very glad you are home and had such a wonderful road trip and visit with Kim. L sounds like a wonderful young woman. Has she read many Latin American or Hispanic authors? That is another interest area of mine. BTW, I went to a bookstore and when I asked one of the employees for a copy of New Yorker, the woman had never heard of it. As she was stocking the magazine section, I found this bizarre. Also strange was the fact that she never went in search of the answer to where the magazine was stashed...Customer Service is a dying phenomenon in this country!

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Linda Pendleton said...

Most of my reading in recent times seems to be articles on the Internet or books for research. During the writing and research of my recently published ebooks, I read a couple of books from the 19th century on the history of Spiritualism, including the 1891 book, "Was Abraham Lincoln a Spiritualist?;" reviewed a couple of books from my own library on UFOs and alien abduction such as the book, "Abduction" by the late Harvard Professor and Pulitzer Prize winning author Dr. John E. Mack that I had previously read. The last new book I read was a memoir, "Life Among the Dead" by psychic Lisa Williams. I have several to read when I have time: two novels by Nicholas Sparks (love his books); Doris Kearns Goodwin’s "Team of Rivals" on Lincoln; and I would like to re-read the novel, The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher; and President Obama’s memoir.

I tend to read more nonfiction now than fiction. About the only poetry I read is a poem on someone’s Blog. I also spend a lot of time daily at the computer, reading articles, news, and every day or so I do a fast read of the local newspaper. I read Publishers Weekly magazine and the TV Guide every week, and “glance” through Rachel Rays’ magazine. I couldn’t begin to guess the number of hours a week I read, but it is a lot.

I hate to admit it, but I have not been in a library in years, and seldom go into a bookstore anymore. I buy my books online. Jeff Bezos must love me....LOL