.jpg)
Bookplate graphic property of E.
February 23, 2009.
If anyone has visited Avid Reader's Blog today, several comments centered on bookplates and whether anyone still uses them.
As you can see from the small feline offering here, which I unfortunately could not enlarge, I am in the minority of those who like and use bookplates. I also gift them to bibliophiles and others who enjoy varied graphics and artistic endeavors.
After spotting an entertaining example on Avid Reader's Blog, one commenter suggested a bookplate day for interested Bloggers and as is often my wont, I wondered about the history of the bookplate and how it came about.
From the website for the American Society of Bookplate Designers and Collectors found at http://www.bookplate.org/, I discovered that bookplates have long been a collectible art form quite apart from their practical use in identifying a book's owner.
Also known as Ex Libris, according to the information from this site, bookplates have existed since the fifteenth century, and spawned bookplate societies throughout the world, including an international federation. Further, both the creators and users of bookplates are a distinguished lot. Artists and engravers as varied as Marc Chagall and Paul Revere fashioned beautiful bookplates, while owners such as England's Queen Victoria and our own Harpo Marx, along with political figures including France's Charles DeGaulle, and novelist Jack London, had distinctive examples, which are featured on the site.
In addition to a number of interesting links and more history, notes on methods used for creating bookplates are available on this website as well. The extremely interested will also find a section on articles pertaining to bookplates and information on the Ex Libris Chronicle.
Until Next Time...
16 comments:
Fascinating!
interesting! of course your bookplate has to be feline... i have one friend who uses them, but in a rubber stamp format. I tend to lend my books out and never see them again!!
Looks very familiar, e!
Thanks for the lesson, e! I never knew book-plates could get so complicated.
my problem with bookplates is I get them as gifts, but all too often forget to use them - most often because I put them someplace safe and then promptly forget where that safe spot is....
along with getting bookplates from friends, as "a friend of the cleveland public library", the library always sends a bookplate to it's friends as an annual gift....
over the years, I have actually put some of the bookplates to use....
there is a reply to your comment regarding cleveland at the mouse.... fyi.
take care, happy reading!
e, you won the book bag--the number 3 was pulled out of the bag by a non blogger. you were the 3rd comment. do you concede to the chimp, or want to choose another winner? or do you want the bag? so many questions--sorry and congrats on winning.
I went through a bookplate phase in my twenties, so hard to decide which ones to buy! then I started getting boxes of them as gifts. Unicorn ones and such. Now these posts made me to decide to make some. I have paper and a gluestick, so... why not?
I had the same one pictured here for awhile...
I've always loved bookplates ever since I was a young mulette. Mine were a facsimile of a william morris print that i LOVED! I haven't used them in my adult life. Moving and unloading books, re-collecting old beloveds ... it would be fun to design my own now. But I do like looking at them at the bookstore.
When I sift through books at charity shops, I am often so disappointed at the lack of bookplate use. Instead, penciled or penned in are dedications, personal notes from giver to givee...when a book plate would have 'dressed' the sentiment up in a lovely package. sigh.
xxx
rdm
Don't use bookplates but seriously love using a book marker. Hate turning down the corner of pages. I like my books to look unread when I've finished with them.... must be my OCD nature.
xx
Thanks everyone for your comments. I enjoyed the history bit myself, never before having learnt that bookplates are considered both an art form (why not!) and highly collectible (who knew?). The links on the website mentioned in the posting are especially interesting.
Sorry about the graphic!
You might also enjoy my bookplate blog
Http://bookplatejunkie.blogspot.com
thanks for the link --I loved the harpo marx book plate.
I don't see them much any more but I've always loved them. I guess I should join you and use them again. I find myself buying used books more and more because they are so expensive. I often trade them in for others but I still keep the good ones. Love the shot of the Tampa library.
Yes, I am one who uses bookplates in my books, but I am finding harder and harder to be able to buy them in bookstores.
love your bookplate. cheers to you.
Post a Comment