Thursday, February 26, 2009

Theme Thursday: Thoughts On Toys

Photo of E and a doll she's long since forgotten, 1967. Dolls were not a favourite toy.

Some of my favourite toys as a kid defied the cultural norms of the day. First, there was the barely harmonious ukulele, which a neighborhood friend "accidentally" sat on and crushed, though I wondered if this represented a comment on my playing ability. Second, a microscope, complete with slides and an instruction book for experiments. With this marvel, I examined such intricacies as the shaft of human hair gathered from my mother's brush, my own blood cells, fur from our cat, sections of bark from a tree, and the leaves of various tropical plants. I then moved on to cap and squirt guns, loving the reactions of others as they were surprised by a well-aimed "pop-pop" or stream of water.

Eventually, my mother tried, vainly, to guide me toward cooking, courtesy of the Easy Bake Oven, a sixties and earlier phenomenon that allowed little kids the joys of baking their own cookies. After mine blew up and left our small kitchen in complete disarray, she moved on to dolls and Barbie accoutrements many of which would fetch a pretty penny from collectors today, if only someone had kept them intact. These I found quite boring, although I understood that girls were supposed to enjoy playing with dolls and Barbie.

I graduated to a small guppy-laden aquarium filled with a noisy aeration pump, green spindly plastic bushes, blue and orange gravel and a fish food dispenser that rarely worked properly. This held my attention into adolescence, when my tastes turned largely to books, writing and music.

I also recall a collection of dolls and figures representing places near and far geographically, and while I never played with these, I did enjoy rearranging and displaying them. Painted wooden shoes from Holland, a child doll from Columbia, a man and woman in traditional pollera and montuno from Panama, a llama from Peru and several traditional kimono-clad dolls from an uncle stationed in Japan, a hand blown glass pitcher from colonial Williamsburg and an indigenous doll dressed in her hand-sewn mola blouse, stand out in my memory. Sadly, most were sold by my mother when she moved house. She assumed no further interest on my part without inquiring.

For images of the traditional dances and costumes of Panama, check out the website http://www.panamaliving.com/mi_panama.html. I do not know the owner of this site, but the enlargeable photos are worth viewing.

Until Next Time...

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some very good thoughts, e. I remember someone had a uke. But not for long! The microscope was cool( but not mine, alas ). And someone always had a cap or squirt gun( or both ). I still like to get out the ol' super soaker...oh wait. I gave that away, too! Drat! And the wooden shoes from Holland! M ystep-mom ahted the things ,so of course, we three kids had to have 'em. Drove her nuts. CLOMP!CLOMP!CLOMP!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i probably had a similar collection of dolls and artifacts from cultures near and far....in fact these 'dolls' were pretty much the only dolls i really liked, although i didn't play with them but had them proudly displayed on shelves my grandfather had made for me....

i loved my microscope!!!! as a kid I always leaned toward bringing home furry creatures ....although in guam i did have lots of geckos which i treated like toys....

e said...

Torp, perhaps you can find another for use during your visits with Princess Cheese??? I could not wear my painted wooden shoes, they were miniatures!

Kim, it sounds like we have some similarities, though I was warned against bringing home furries as many in our environs were rabid or could spread disease.

Thanks for coming by Kim and Torp!

Unknown said...

Don't you feel like your childhood is defined by your toys even more than by your friends.

Ronda Laveen said...

I always wanted some of those little wooden shoes. And the hat that goes with them. In Girl Scouts we occasionally would have
"Around the World" days I always wanted to be in the troupe that wore that costume and did that dance.

Megan said...

Oh ma! Always stop and ask first!

Now you've reminded me of the trunk full of dolls-of-the-world that is buried beneath many other things in my closet.

So many memories unleashed today...

Thanks for this post, dear e!

Kris McCracken said...

I liked to play with rocks.

Fire Byrd said...

I had forgotten the dolls from foreign countries, I only had a couple, and I loved them being in what was seen as the National costume. Even if I eventually stripped them off!!!
I didn't much like dolls, especially Barbie... ugh! Give me a teddy bear anyday!

Anonymous said...

e, the Princess has discovered Lincoln Logs!( okay, cheap ones but still ). Hours of fun to pass the time on a cold rainy day.

Leah said...

You reminded me of some beloved toys I'd forgotten about. And weren't cap guns the best?

Candie said...

Great post.I was having too lots of stuff from all around the world thanks to my godmother.

Avid Reader said...

I was so bored with dolls as a kid, and was always disappointed because I was constantly being given dolls! The only doll I liked was a Mary Poppins Doll that resembled Julie Andrews and had a tapestry handbag. I loved the Tapestry bag more than the doll though. I gave all my dolls away--anytime any little kid was available, I'd give away a doll. even the Mary Poppins--by the time I was 13 the dolls were all gone.

Dakota Bear said...

Good post. I would say a toy is whatever occupied your time and gives you pleasure.

bulletholes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bulletholes said...

my God, the grammer...I really should read my comments before I publish...
my favrite when I was about 3 was a Popeye guitar that had a wind up handle on it and it played the Popeye song when you turned the crank...like some kind of player-Hurdy Gurdy I guess...
Then there was my Casper the Friendly Ghost doll that had a pull string on it and he said things like "Will you be my friend" and "Oooh, I'm Casper the Freindly Ghost" and stuff.

Later on, I learned to play with real dolls... you know...living dolls!
Hi E!

e said...

Torp:
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Perhaps some time with the Princess and her Lincoln Logs will help de-stress???

Michael--Interesting point. Both toys and friends let us learn and practice skills as kids. Toys, though, also teach us not so subtle messeges about gender, stereotypes, expectations, etc. If we are lucky, some of them, like my own and Kim's collection, can open the door to other places and cultures, from which we can glean impressions and even desires or knowledge that lasts a lifetime.

While the dolls to play with were boring, I loved learning about the other types and where they came from.

Firebyrd--I had two Teddy's, one of which is still with me.

Leah-I loved my cap gun. It made me feel strong to be able to say, "Pow, got you!" to a kid who was bullying me.

e said...

Bullet,

You are a living doll, too!

Pamdog said...

I confess; I liked barbies. I also played with hot wheels, legos (preceeded by tinker toys), and marbles (but not in the traditional sense). Does anyone remember creepy crawlers?? Do they still exist??

Pamela

GrizzBabe said...

I LOVED my Easy Bake Oven as a kid, but then I do enjoy cooking. The problem was when you put the cake pan in the oven to cook, the oven locked shut. I'm sure it was for safety reasons but I really wanted at that cake!

Steve Reed said...

I desperately wanted an Easy-Bake oven, which somehow isn't surprising, given my childhood tendency to challenge gender norms.

e said...

Hi Grizzbabe, Steve and Pam,

Thanks for stopping by.

Pam, I've not seen Creepy Crawlers, but I'm sure some variation still exists, even as so-called vintage toys.

Grizz,

I too was frustrated by that oven door,but I actually had more fun with my Uncle's Brownie Camera.

Steve,

Nice to see you! You are still challenging things, as am I, because of who we are!

Suzanne said...

I swear to God, when I saw the photo I said to self "Self, that doll's worth some money!" But you already know that!!! Too funny. In fact, we must be the same age because I've had and cherished every one of your toys. Our Barbies are worth so much money and to think I used to swing her around by her hair, throw her in the toy pile, let her go naked in winter. Jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzze. If I'd only known, I would have treated her better. I also would have kept her!

While I never had your collection of "World Figures," I did click on the Panamain site and thought, "God I need a tan!" Thanks for reminding me, and thanks especially for this post. It's terrific and so are all your friends on this comment page. Thanks too for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment. For some reason I needed it and am grateful. Visit any time because you're alway welcome.

Take good care of the kitties!!!! I love their names.

XO

Suzanne said...

Hey, it's after 3am. Cut me some slack with the Panama thingie!!! That is just funny!

;)

karen said...

Hi E, loved this post! brought back quite a few memories, too... including toys not had and envied, (I never had a barbie!!). I had 2 x "national dolls", a seychelloise girl and a Martinique girl (shared with my sister). I always loved those painted dutch shoes, as well as the Russian Matryoshka dolls. sorry to hear your mom decided to dispose of them, but that seems to happen a lot, alas!

Squirrel said...

I only liked boy's toys--which bothered my Kindergarten teacher since she liked gender segregated play times.

this toy thursday has made me look at toys differently, more closely too!

CocoDivaDog said...

What a thoughtful post. You made me remember my own first microscope and my vast doll collection (we traveled a lot).
Did you ever "play" with a telescope? That was a pretty cool toy too!

karen said...

Great memories! What a rebel :) I did laugh at your easybake oven blowing up, and all the other glimpses into the past!

karen said...

how weird! I saw this under "February" and while I was reading it I found it so incredibly familiar, thought I was having some deja vu moment - then I realised it was written in Feb 2009. Hahah! I still re-enjoyed it though. Such a great story :)