Saturday, October 10, 2026

Eerily quiet...

 It rained before dusk. At sunset, it stopped and has been quiet, more so than is usually the case on a Friday. There are no vehicles on the eight lanes fronting this property, no dogs dragging their humans at the end of a lead in the court yard, no one going to or from the communal dumpster in our parking area and nary a voice on a mobile phone outside because the individual had no reception needed for an outgoing call indoors.

The expected rain and potential flooding from this hurricane have not materialized here, fortunately.  Other parts of this State are devastated and thousands lack electricity and basic services at this point.  Neither Miss Mercy nor I have been able to sleep since the rain stopped hours ago.

Spare some thoughts for those affected and help if you can.

105 miles per hour at landfall packs quite a punch...

3 comments:

Boud said...

First, I'm glad your family is safe and dry. And yes, much damage elsewhere in the state.

Ms. Moon said...

I woke up this morning to a lot of humidity and a clear sky. Weird after last night's intense wind and rain.

Bless said...

I'm glad you and Mercy are safe and, hopefully, dry. I've a niece in Florida, but, she said her area wasn't in the path of the hurricane.