Saturday, October 18, 2025

I'll put you on the list...

 So declared the friendly voice in my ear upon my call to a surgical office recommended by my GYN. I have no idea of the length of the list for the provider at USF Health and Tampa General. Another doctor at Moffit Cancer Center is so booked up that it may be months before another patient crosses his path. The post-surgical oncologist recommended by my current primary care physician cannot see me until surgery is completed and suggested a doctor in another county. This doctor has perforated a patient during surgery resulting in her death and is also more difficult to get to. My GYN's office has a contact at Moffitt so I am to hear from them. Thus are my latest adventures in our very messed up medical system. If you are reading this and don't live in the US, I apologize if it all seems confusing, but it is. It is also big business.

Apart from hours spent dialing and smiling and getting a bit exhausted, I made a stupid mistake by placing a small announcement of my diagnosis on social media for out of area friends. Most left messages of support. A cousin read and left nothing but called my octogenarian uncle and another cousin, upsetting my uncle. I feel she should have talked to me first and left the telling to me. Ms. blabbermouth has been unfriended though I doubt she'll notice. I don't have any desire to talk to her and have removed my post. My energy is better served in other places.

On a more positive note, thank you to everyone for your kind support, particularly those visiting from other blogs. I'll make best efforts to get around as I can. Take care and have a good evening!


11 comments:

Sandra said...

All things crossable are crossed for you, e.

Boud said...

E, I wish we could help with the efforts to set up your next step. It's exhausting. You're very much on my mind. I wonder if you could just get any appointments you can, then nearer the time decide what to do? Like booking extra tickets. Just a thought. Disregard if you already thought about this!

Pensive Pensioner said...

Your medical system sounds very complicated and even worse for waiting lists than the UK. I do hope that you can get an appointment sooner rather than later. Fingers firmly crossed for you. You really do not need the stress involved here....
Angie x

Steve Reed said...

It's ridiculous how hard it seems to be for you to get appointments! I hope this is an indication that the doctors aren't too worried about your prognosis? But I'm sure it's incredibly stressful for you. I wish we could help somehow!

Bless said...

I'm so sorry you are having these difficulties getting appointments. I was in an HMO through my medical insurance during my cancer diagnosis (still am, for that matter) and while there was a bit of a wait for referrals and procedures to be authorized, everything worked out well. I am hoping that your referrals go through without much delays and you can get everything sorted out sooner rather than later.

Jean said...

Stay positive, as difficult as that may seem right now.
It will add to your strength.
All good thoughts to you.

Wisewebwoman said...

Hard to believe that your healthcare is so difficult to arrange and so exhausting for you. Having it a corporate money-making enterprise is so much worse. My thoughts are with you in this challenging time. Being sick should not be so debilitating to manage. Fingers crossed. And what a nasty cousin. Glad you X-ed her.
XO
WWW

Elle Clancy said...

Agree: our health care is just a ridiculous maze. My dad went to Moffitt for some treatments; if you can get in, they are phenomenal. All good thoughts for you.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm sorry that she didn't reach out to you first. Also, I'm sorry taking care of ourselves is this difficult. I wish it was better. Sending you love and huggs.

e said...

The longer this takes the more likely the cancer is to spread. The specialist surgeon cannot issue a prognosis sans exam, bloods and other things. This is an indication of too many patients and not enough doctors in an overpopulated area.

Barbara said...

Thinking of you and the little miss.
Xoxo
Barbara