Tuesday, June 24, 2025

Missing Mercy

 Little Miss Mercy scared me yesterday. After doing chores, I returned phone calls and after making a cup of tea, the place suddenly seemed too quiet. Mercy, it seemed, had disappeared. Calling her, I heard nary a peep. All closets checked, all rooms investigated, all familiar hiding places gone through...


Then, a faint crinkling noise from of all places, the bathroom. and the plastic curtain liner...She rappelled from the floor almost to the top of the curtain rod and, hanging by one leg, made a last ditch effort to climb over the rod at the top and come again to the floor on the inside of the curtain, This proved beyond her and all eight pounds of the girl dangled there until she gave up and slid to the ground, frustrated, 

I have no clue about her need to climb like this.  She tried it once as a tiny kitten, ensnaring herself  in curtain fabric before crying out for rescue. Funny little character...

The curtain needs replacing at some point.

Are your animal companions behaving?

11 comments:

Boud said...

My sheers were often more like tatters after cats had climbed them a time or three.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Your little Mercy is quite mischievous. She keeps your hopping and entertained. Thankfully, she was fine.

Ms. Moon said...

Cats will be cats with no regard whatsoever to our belongings, sleep, or concerns. Do you have a climbing platform for her?

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you found her. Your heart must have been in your mouth.

Steve Reed said...

I guess cats are climbers by nature, but I never had one go up a shower curtain!

Sandra said...

Gatto has periods of quiet. That's the best I can say for him. The temptation was just to great for Mercy. She had to try.

Jean said...

Just when you think you know all about them...

The Happy Whisk said...

Glad Miss Mercy is okay and safe. With dogs they like to chew on things. We have bits and bob throughout the house and the garden with chew marks. It's not a bad thing though. We are not fancy folk. Even our sleigh bed has Bug's markings. Happy weekend. Hope you're staying cool.

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh gawd you reminded me of the massive search put out by my town for my missing rescue Ansa. She had a habit of running away until I finally got her trust and trained her not to. So many vehicles and walkers calling her name. I finally went upstairs, exhausted, and there she was, snoring on my bed. The embarrassment was mighty.
XO
WWW

DeniseinVA said...

Never a dull moment with little Mercy around :)

MELODY JACOB said...

Oh my goodness, what a story about Little Miss Mercy. It sounds like she gave you quite a scare, only to be found in the most unexpected and precarious of situations. Picturing her dangling from the shower curtain by one leg is quite a visual – a true feline acrobat, even if she didn't quite stick the landing! It's funny how some cats have such an adventurous and curious spirit.

I'm glad she's safe and sound, even if the curtain might need replacing soon! My own animal companions are (thankfully) behaving themselves at the moment, mostly napping in sunbeams.

Thanks for sharing that hilarious and relatable tale.

www.melodyjacob.com