Wednesday, June 18, 2025

I'm sorry she's gone...

 In all of my years of blogging, I don't think I've mentioned a penchant for cooking programs. This began innocently enough on PBS Saturdays during family trips to the States.  I appreciated Americas Test Kitchen, Lidia and the incomparable Julia.  Anthony Bourdain and his simple method for making an egg contributed to my love of small meals that taste good.

As an adult, my life revolved around employment, side gigs, school, animal care and volunteering in my community. My three-times per month trips to the local library became forays into a range of subjects, from personal finance to cooking. The odd novelist or poet made an appearance but in those days, my reading consisted of all things practical and building at least rudimentary skills to sustain me. Cooking topped the list as everyone needs to eat and I needed skills beyond those provided in  the middle school Home Economics classes of my youth.

By the time the Food Channel appeared, I flirted with fandom. My first episode of a program featuring Chef  Anne Burrell not only held my attention because of the food, but the humor and her facility as an instructor for everyday people, kids and celebrities alike. Like them, I laughed and learned, tasted and beamed as the results of my modest efforts paid off. Though I'll never be a chef, I thank her for the confidence I gained. Shocked to hear of her sudden death at 55, my heart goes out to her family, friends and colleagues.

May you all enjoy the food you eat today and spare a thought for those behind the scenes who've enabled you to prepare it or who have done so for you.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I was not familiar either with that show or the chef but it surely appears that she was beloved.

Boud said...

That's one of the nicest tributes I've seen. She was evidently very much appreciated.

Elephant's Child said...

Not a chef I know but a fine tribute. I hope that she knew how far her influence spread. And the same for the other people who inspire us. Clumsily expressed but I hope you know what I mean.

DeniseinVA said...

I was shocked to learn of Anne Burrell’s passing. I missed that somehow. I haven’t watched any cooking shows for a while but used to watch her every now and again. I always watched Julia Child’s cooking shows. She was also very entertaining. Anthony Bordain too. Great entertainers and exceptional chefs.

Jean said...

Is indeed a very sad loss for family, friends and fans alike.
She was a gem.

The Happy Whisk said...

I didn't know she passed until now. Ahh... that sucks. She was fun to watch. I hope she didn't suffer in the end.