Thursday, December 12, 2024

Seasonal Greetings


Penned awhile ago, this year, I will be sending e-cards to those who don't disdain them as I do not want a repeat of last year's post office fiasco in which no cards reached their recipients.

 One my favorite parts of this season is the sending of cards, a practice begun largely by the Victorians after the queen herself sent the first. This was followed by commercial production of cards which people could purchase to send Christmas greetings to family and friends. Perusal within Google assures me that now widespread, the sending of seasonal good wishes is far from dying out as I had unfortunately assumed. 

When I was a kid, the sending of cards was always accompanied by a letter highlighting the events of the passing year and hopes for the one ahead. These were considered an important part of staying connected to relatives and friends far a field from where we lived and in some cases the letters of several pages were the longest sent during the year and so were prized by the recipients. With long distance calls being expensive, mobile phone non-existent and computers and the Internet a matter of science fiction, putting pen to paper or typing out and copying a letter to send with cards was labor intensive and often begun at our Thanksgiving holiday.

My own approach is a small, hand written note simply letting the individual or family know they are thought about. I am still written to by a longstanding friend from childhood, a former blogger and neighbors long gone from this locality. among others. Remaining family, not so much.

What about you? Any interesting card traditions?


Christmas card circa 1870 courtesy of Wikimedia Commons Images


5 comments:

Boud said...

I love the modern ecard, especially the animated ones. In fact I'm starting my own ecard tradition this year, thanks to your example.

Ms. Moon said...

I used to love doing Christmas cards. Now I really don't and so...I don't. I am sad to see the practice going out of style though.

Steve Reed said...

I also used to send cards every year. Haven't done it in about 15 years, though. It is a shame that so many of us have dropped that tradition, but it's not SUCH a shame that I feel like reviving it!

Elephant's Child said...

I do like handwritten cards. The letters that some include in them, not so much. They often seem to be a carefuly curated bragfest.

DeniseinVA said...

I still like to send out a card and receive them. I usually drop a few lines inside like you do, and a condensed letter to everyone, just to let them know what we have been up to through the past year and that they are thought of with love. My card list is dwindling as more and more people send the e-cards, and with the inevitable marching on of time. Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!