Miss Mercy is mightily anxious and taking her hiding behavior to an extreme. Still a kitten, though a larger one, that skill kept her alive alone outside until she found shelter and my friend to care for her, eventually coming to me and her forever home.
Since the fireworks of the fourth, Mercy has been hypervigilant and any outside or unfamiliar noise is suspect and reason to sequester herself behind the bathroom sink cabinet, from which she can be neither seen nor heard. While great for her, that poses problems for me because unless I see her conceal herself, I have no idea whether she can dart out from behind something and escape if I open the door to someone.
Although intelligent, I'm unsure whether she could find her way home since she hasn't been outside my door in the seven months she's lived with me. I do not trust others to have sense enough to protect a curious kitten so must assume they cannot and act
accordingly. This means securing her in her favorite stroller and blankets prior to scheduled deliveries, not opening the door to unscheduled visitors who do not call, keeping her well out of the way of any persons who do repairs and monitoring the noises beyond our walls so that she knows I and she are safe. This last has been the most difficult because the upstairs neighbor loves to talk at anyone she encounters coming or going and as bad luck would have it, her voice carries, always putting poor Mercy on alert. She of the recent bathroom ceiling damage is also an inveterate gossip, and despite several attempts to ingratiate herself to me, she does not seem to understand my distaste and distance. The fact that she puts Mercy on edge only underscores to me how smart my cat is learning to be.
After a time of noise and mayhem, Mercy responded to the quiet by eating her supper and playing a rousing game of chase the snake. She is now next to the laptop watching funny things appear across the screen...
Happy weekend...
7 comments:
Poor Mercy. And poor you.
Our cats don't respond well to loud noises (and particularly to noisy visitors). They secrete themselves in safe hidey holes inside. I don't think they would make a dash for freedom outside - which is alien territory for them, just as it is for Mercy.
Wow. I understand your problem. My kitty spent months hiding from everyone. At least she was on a shelf and I could tip the front container a bit and see her. When Kitty did begin to be comfortable with housekeeping and a few others coming through the door, I once stood in the door way and when she approached the door I yelled and waved my arms and said NO< DANGER< BAD. Ever since she hangs back. I'm still careful, but I think her small brain has absorbed the outer hall is no good. Of course, she was six or seven years on the street and I think she is happy to hang around for the food and indoor toilet.
Chase the snake! I love this kitty. And her owner!
I feel bad for Mercy. I've had plenty of dogs that were frightened by fireworks but no cats. This has to be stressful for you both, her fear of loud sound,
It is heartwarming to know you show such love and care for this adorable kitten. I am applauding you.
Finally! I could not change accounts to make a comment so I hope this works.
Aww, Mercy. It is hard being a cat. I have really tried to help Poppy with all her fears but she wants no part of it. Sometimes I think I am making things worse. She is super sweet with me and she will claw at the blankets for me to let her underneath so she can sleep right beside me. But anyone else? Hate. lol
poor wee pet. Heaven knows what noises have scared her when she was on the streets so she was badly triggered. How lucky she found you who understands.
And I hear you on the neighbor who has no sense of social signals and boundaries. We have one here too.
XO
WWW
Post a Comment