Saturday, May 4, 2024

Answering Questions

 One of the comments about Mercy from my previous post mentioned her being a permanent kitten...This is inaccurate. She is a kitten from birth until one year of age regardless of spay status. Since she is now seven months we have five months left until she reaches adulthood. She is still very curious and playful. The sixth month for kittens is marked by increased growth and appetite and she has filled out a bit but is still growing. According to my reading and information from the vet, kittens begin to settle down between 9 and 12 months, so Miss Mercy still has a while to be a little girl.

Regarding the condominium association here and their concerns, the overarching concern is paying for maintenance and insurance, both of which are rising exponentially due to being in a hurricane state. Additionally our reserves are low and monies taken from them must be paid back within one year of borrowing per state statute. There is a lot to do here and it cannot all get done on a shoestring budget.

As for our treasurer who only joined our board in February after someone else stepped down, she was a foul of the law when she told a homeowner who asked to speak to an item under discussion and was told that there was no provision for owners to speak at this particular meeting. When advised that this was against state statute, the treasurer apologized and the owner said her piece. She is not on the board but new here apparently and shocked by what she was hearing. I think many people would be shocked at the power wielded by condominium associations in this state. By now, if any of you are still awake, you may realize that condo living is not always as it was meant to be. A good read on the subject is the book entitled, Escaping Condo Jail. The authors escape me at the moment but if you Google the title you should find it readily enough.

6 comments:

Boud said...

Most of the stories I've heard about power-wielding condos are from Texas and Florida, for some reason. I deal with two of them here in NJ and they're pretty manageable. I wonder if they're differently governed by State law.

Sandra said...

It took Frieda awhile to "settle" down. She is still a very busy cat and I suppose always will be, but her wildness has mostly gone away. She is 5 in October. Gatto is around two and still has tight naughty pants, but is getting better. I have not lived in a condo or townhouse. I know something about the associations through my Husband, which is enough for me.

Steve Reed said...

I was on my co-op board in New York and fortunately it was more tedious than cantankerous. But every board is different!

DeniseinVA said...

We have a home-owners association that we pay dues to every month, and they are very strict. The joke was when we moved here was that there was someone who came around the neighborhood with a 6-inch ruler, and if your grass was any higher than that ruler, you would get a ‘nasty’ note. I say this lightly because I think that was our own urban legend.

Wisewebwoman said...

I lived in a condo after my divorce and couldn't wait to get out, the fees kept rising and rising and there was a crack house 2 doors down from me. I was lucky to escape breaking even on what I paid for it.
Mercy sounds like a delight.
XO
WWW

DUTA said...

Everywhere - the same gloomy story of the power of associations.
Mercy is a far nicer subject than those associations, for sure!