Monday, December 11, 2023

Speaking of books...

 I just learned that a favorite Florida writer and former crime reporter, Tim Dorsey, passed away on November 26th. While perhaps not as well known as Carl Hiassen or Dave Berry, Dorsey's novels, spanning from 1999 to 2023. contain characters and issues related to the crazy, sometimes zany. which comprises Florida life and politics. I will be re-reading them. beginning with Florida Roadkill, in the new year. As someone with Florida pioneers on both sides of my family tree, I have long struggled to understand why anyone would settle here. especially now. I never wanted to come here and now it appears I may be stuck, but that is a story for another day, or perhaps never.

Cheers!




6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Not an author I know. Thanks for the heads up.

Boud said...

Maybe your genealogy research might eventually make it clearer? It could simply be work, or a warm climate, depending on their origin.

Ms. Moon said...

Glen and I were sad to hear that news too. We have enjoyed his books very much.

Sandra said...

He's new to me, too. When I lived in Georgia I met someone who had moved from Florida, she said to escape it. My thought, not vocalized was, Georgia?

The Happy Whisk said...

I only stayed in Florida for a short time, as a teen. The giant roaches that fly, spook me.

Wisewebwoman said...

I worked in Florida on an assignment for a while and honestly, e, I hated every minute. I got very depressed. I do hate heat, should mention that, and there were so many really elderly people around and I was in my late thirties then.
I am sure there are wonderful parts though, I have three friends living there and they would give anything to get out with the existing governor and the frightening storms. I do remember so clearly the Cuban coffee I'd pick up from a roadside vendor every morning. Delicious.
XO
WWW