Saturday, October 28, 2023

National Cat Day, October 29

 Apparently, National Cat Day, founded in 2005 by animal advocate Colleen Paige. is real. I thought it was some fake social media thing until I Googled the day and date. The purpose of National Cat Day is to celebrate felines, draw attention to the vast numbers needing rescue and remember the gifts and love cats bestow on those lucky enough to live with one or more of them.

As someone who has rescued and loved several cats over the last thirty-odd years, I have learned a tremendous amount about these complex creatures and become a better human for having each of them.

I recently attempted an adoption and for reasons beyond my doing or control, had to walk away. I hope the little girl is happily re-homed and is enjoying safety and comfort tonight.

In memoriam, I give you: Lukas, Phoebe, Jacob, Samantha and Angel. I was honored to be their trusted human.








8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Every day is cat day here.
Like you, I have learned from each and every cat that has shared our lives. I cherish the ones we have, and mourn those who have left us.

Mary D. said...

A friend said she heard of a book that talks about pets having an afterlife and visiting their owners. My friend rescued approximately 15 cats in her lifetime. She was much comforted by the thought that her friends were still around. I wish I knew the book’s title so I could pass it on. You did good rescuing so many.

Boud said...

Thank you for the gallery of friends! What a life you gave all of them. I hope your next adoption attempt works out.

Sandra said...

Those kitties won the lottery with you. You will eventually be ready to find a cat that needs you. I have had cats my entire life, but have only come to see their complexity after this became a doglegs house. They are fascinating creatures.

Ms. Moon said...

I found this in my inbox today. I give it to you.


The cat’s song
BY MARGE PIERCY
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Forward to a Friend
Mine, says the cat, putting out his paw of darkness.
My lover, my friend, my slave, my toy, says
the cat making on your chest his gesture of drawing
milk from his mother’s forgotten breasts.

Let us walk in the woods, says the cat.
I’ll teach you to read the tabloid of scents,
to fade into shadow, wait like a trap, to hunt.
Now I lay this plump warm mouse on your mat.

You feed me, I try to feed you, we are friends,
says the cat, although I am more equal than you.
Can you leap twenty times the height of your body?
Can you run up and down trees? Jump between roofs?

Let us rub our bodies together and talk of touch.
My emotions are pure as salt crystals and as hard.
My lusts glow like my eyes. I sing to you in the mornings
walking round and round your bed and into your face.

Come I will teach you to dance as naturally
as falling asleep and waking and stretching long, long.
I speak greed with my paws and fear with my whiskers.
Envy lashes my tail. Love speaks me entire, a word

of fur. I will teach you to be still as an egg
and to slip like the ghost of wind through the grass.

DUTA said...

Cute cats, each one of them! Both the cats and the owners deserve a National Day.

Wisewebwoman said...

I lean more canine than feline but have had many cats in my life who assimilated with the dogs quite well and had their own incredibly unique personalities. Animals teach us so much, mine are all remembered with affection and longing. My only wish would be for my residential building to allow us to have pets. I am advocating.
XO
WWW

Jenny Woolf said...

Pictures full of memories, and those are five lucky cats to have had you to share their lives. I like the idea of a National Cat day, and hope you will have more success with a future adoption.