Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Greetings from Ralph DeRoach...

 I seem to be attracting palmetto bugs, otherwise known as large flying cockroaches. I've seen two tonight in unlikely places and both were lightening fast in making their escape. I have not had the bug man visit since the pandemic so I don't think his baits are still effective. I will be spraying and dusting with boric acid powder this week. My understanding from reading about them is that they can and do come in clean houses. as well as dirty ones, often looking for water.

The last time this happened, I had just gotten new neighbors. Guess what? Two apartments which had been empty around me are newly occupied. No cat box, no trash. no food left out, no empty boxes, bags or packaging. What else could they be looking for???

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I hope you can move them out and on quickly.

DUTA said...

They're looking for dark corners, and darkness in general which helps them multiply quietly. When you see one, you have to take action, two signals problems.
I use a sprayer bought once at Home Center, called K500.It's quite efficient (contains some sort of poison). Good Luck!

Boud said...

I wonder if they're escaping the baits newly put down in the neighboring properties? I had an awful sudden infestation of fleas one time right after the nearest apartment had the exterminator. They just escaped to my house!

Ms. Moon said...

If you live in Florida, you will get roaches no matter how clean your home is. Might be time to call in the bug man again.

Sandra said...

I had cockroaches in the house in Atlanta. I never saw one before that. The monthly bug guy took care of it. I don't know enough about them, other than having cockroaches has nothing to do with a dirty house. They are fast and creepy. I hope you can convince them to move on.

Wisewebwoman said...

I had carpenter ants in my last house, eating all the wood. I had to get the every six month service of an exterminator before they ate my entire house which was all wood.
I hope you have success in getting rid of your creatures.
XO
WWW

Sadia Jabeen said...

Its their nature to wander around places, they can be found anywhere but they are annoying.