Friday, May 19, 2023

Still Here

 The last days have been challenging as Lukas is loosing his sight. He has some light response but it is minimal. I did as his vet suggested and put LED nightlights around the abode so he would have a bit of help but it has been hard watching him re-learn his house and trying to keep everything in place so he does not get confused. The situation is complicated by osteoarthritis and loss of muscle mass in his back legs. making it painful for him to jump up or down which he has trouble judging due to his dimming sight. I help him when I can and most of the time he seems content.

I'm slowly working through closets and drawers and plan on tackling pantry and kitchen as time allows.  My usual method of removing everything from a space so I can see all needs to be done when Lukas is in another room or asleep, otherwise he gets overwhelmed and starts to meow a lot. signaling irritation or bewilderment. The fact that I generally  have less stuff than a lot of people I know doesn't matter much when it is out for us to run into.

As for my recent reading, Sr. Karol Jackowski makes a compelling case against blind obedience, Her superior, when signing the papers for her profession, locks eyes with her, and asks, "If you were told to go and teach a chemistry class, would you go? Jackowski replies, " That isn't a subject with which I have any experience so I would need some time to learn in order to benefit the students." 

There was nothing to do but admit the reasonable reply. and Jackowski has been a professed sister since the sixties as well as an author. Her spark remains,

Any spark in your life these days?

Wishing all a good weekend.

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry for Lukas and for you. Thank you for doing all you can to make him comfortable.
My spark is dim at the moment.

DUTA said...

I'm very moved by your care for Lucas. May God help you both by making things easy and smooth!

Sandra said...

I do, actually. We went out this morning to buy a new grill and I picked up some annuals.

I'm very sorry about Lukas. I've know a few blind dogs but not cats. My Howard had glaucoma but wasn't totally blind. It's a challenge for Lukas having health problems pile on top of one another. For you as well. I hope he adapts easily.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, Lucas.
I am so sorry to hear of his troubles.

Boud said...

I'm glad Lukas has such a sensitive and caring friend to watch over him. Whatever he can enjoy, is great.

I'm a serial winnower, too, as you probably know. I get the idea that even though you're not cluttered, there's still room to winnow

Martha said...

I'm really sorry to hear this about Lukas. Sending you both hugs! I have an elderly cat that is still in great shape but I know there'll come a time when she'll need a lot of care and support.

Val Ewing said...

That is tough when our best friends have issues. My Jack Russell terrier lost sight due to other issues, but he faded rather quickly from many health problems.
I have an old mule that has lost sight in one eye but she makes do so far out in the pasture.