A warm thanks to my reader Sandy for confirming my suspicion about potato flakes being a good thickener for chowder and other things. My mother was a good cook and a decent baker who loved trying new foods and recipes but she had little patience with me, so most of what I've learned has been through trial and error and the pluck to ask others when a cookbook was not handy or lacked the information sought.
Part of the relative isolation that has become my normal has afforded me the time to try new things or get into the hall pantry and experiment while using things up and avoiding waste. I also plan my menu for the week ahead which eliminates over buying for the most part.
This pot of chowder is not based on a recipe, merely what I had on hand. It has given me two meals and may provide two more in the coming days. Thanks to my readers for indulging me and supporting my efforts.
Cheers!
6 comments:
I hope it was delicious.
Yes, it has been delicious and it did thicken in the refrigerator.
Happy to help.
Hurrah! It's so nice to have something delicious in the refrigerator you can simply reheat.
I love soups and chowder also. I live in Montana, where it is snowing at the moment. So soup is often on the menu. I will try the potato flake trick.
A handy tip is always welcome!
Post a Comment