Corn chowder sometimes known as corn stew. has existed in this country since the mid to late eighteen hundreds and was popularized by Mary Lincoln, of the Boston Cooking School. Her successor, Fannie Farmer, furthered the dish's use by using recipes calling for newly available canned corn, circa 1896. Her additional contribution to American home cooks, The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, is still used today and was a stable in my childhood kitchen. A versatile dish, corn chowder can be made vegan or vegetarian or feature chicken, fish or other seafood such as clams, scallops or shrimp.
All that said, I prepared a version of this for an early dinner. Creamed corn, whole kernel corn, carrots, potatoes and a bit of half and half, along with parsley, pepper and salmon are melding together as I write. Though not a dish associated with warmer weather and not something I make often, I had the ingredients, which were canned and readily available, and figured, why not?
I have enough for several small meals. The resident chowhound is perturbed because while he could clearly smell salmon, he was not offered any. I am pondering thickeners since flour isn't something I keep. Plain yogurt? Potato flakes? Most recipes call for cream which I did not have, hence the half and half.
I'll see what it is like tomorrow. Meanwhile, what say you home cooks??
Cheers!
7 comments:
I don't think I have ever eaten chowder. I hope you enjoy your recipe. Could the potatoes thicken it if they are cooked down? Or do you have corn starch?
This is an interesting idea. Our weather is still not quite out of the soup range, so I've noted this. Thank you.
I do not always thicken my chowder which I suppose makes for a less-thick soup but it does not affect the taste.
Corn starch is a thickener. Grated cheese will thicken. There are others but they wouldn't be good with your chowder, I think. I don't like corn, I just don't even though I have tried. The chowhound wants his bit!
I eat corn in most of its possible forms, but haven't tried it as chowder.
Home cook here,potato flakes are great for things like this.
Sounds delicious! I've never had this. I'm going to have to look up a recipe for it.
Post a Comment