Saturday, January 28, 2023

A bit of a sad goodbye

 When my last grand aunt died in August, just days before her 103rd birthday, her celebration of life was delayed by hurricanes, damage and home repairs and because much of the remaining family would come from elsewhere, scheduling. She survived all of her close friends, and her place of worship had been razed, so her daughter was not initially sure what to do.

After much thought and planning, the arts center named for her older sister and brother-in-law was chosen, catering was completed and the remaining family came, minus yours truly, who cannot travel. I was surprised that 150 were planned for. A video, some poems, stories, music and more than a few sweet memories will be shared by the assembled and I have been told to expect a video.

She was beautiful, generous, kind and funny and loved her family and friends unreservedly. especially her late husband and their daughter. 

A candle is burning here in her memory.

As was said in her obituary, heaven has indeed gained another star.



8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A lovely tribute. I am glad that you will be receiving a video.

Boud said...

This is a beautiful tribute to a remarkable woman. How cheerful she looks! And how great to be related to her. Thanks for sharing a little bit of her story.

DUTA said...

Sorry for your loss! May your grandaunt's soul rest in peace!

Sandra said...

I am sorry for your loss of her and that you cannot attend her memorial. 103, she had quite a life. She was obviously loved.

Ms. Moon said...

She looks like a woman I would have loved to know.

37paddington said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, e. She lived a good long life, and to judge from her photo, she did it with some joy.

Wisewebwoman said...

So wonderful you can have a video to remember her by and her memory too. I lost my last aunt a couple of years back, she was pushing a 100. A huge loss too. These deaths bring us closer to our own mortality.

Much sympathy.

XO
WWW

LL Cool Joe said...

Really sorry for your loss, she looked like a fun lady! I hope you enjoy the video.