The abode is a small one, just under 750 square feet. Of its four rooms, the bathroom, which has no window, is the most cave like with a roll in shower at the back and a galley sink and toilet.
The front room is rectangular, the sole bedroom a square and the kitchen not quite miniscule. A six foot person might be able to lie down at the edge of the sink and touch the back wall. Designed in a classic L, it is the largest kitchen I have ever had. I can get around in it in my wheelchair without bumping cabinets or scuffing corners or walls but I have seen larger closets. I ruined it five years ago with an attempted update which was an epic failure simply because I stupidly hired the wrong, licensed person for the job. My stove, which is apartment sized and slide in, is not flush with the wall as it is intended to be, the cabinets are poorly fitted and I have a piece of ledger board showing along the back wall next to my stacked washer and dryer. The roll under sink was shoddily put together and though functional, left an actual plumber laughing. You have no idea how many times I have fantasized about changing all of this, but COVID put paid to that quickly.
I cook in there often and see every flaw, scratch from counter sides left unfinished, the dirt in the floor grout left unsealed and gaps in between the LVT and the wall in my living room, one at least 4 inches wide. It isn't the flooring but the install, according to flooring contractors.
So, despite its small size and aesthetic difficulties, this kitchen is the largest I have had as an adult. The other was a narrow galley kitchen with refrigerator, stove, sink and cabinets all along one wall and a window on the other side. My entire living space was less than 500 square feet and I lived there happily for eight years until moving to the abode. I doubt I could get this chair in that tinier kitchen or bathroom, and I'm glad I own what I have now.
2017-present



6 comments:
The square footage is about my condo size, where handsome son lives, but that has a galley kitchen. Yours is probably better designed for your purposes. Design is everything in a small place particularly. And you're so much at the mercy of contractors. You really don't know how they'll work out ahead of time.
It looks practical, at least. And that is truly what matters. I know though, that you would love a new update. Perhaps soon you will feel safe enough for that to happen.
I love that you can roll under the sink. Recently we got a much smaller oven and I LOOOOOOOVE it. I love the smaller appliances.
I understand how it would bother you. At least it's functional until the time comes to fix it.
The size of your place is about what I'd like to live in now. I want less to clean and less to do as I get older.
It is good that it is usable, although I know the feeling of seeing every scratch and bit of dirt. You wouldn't want it to be huge, I know, but I hope you get to fix the worst bits of it soon and can find a recommended contractor when you do. Do you have those websites where you live like Checkatrade or Rated People? They are quite strict about listings and only accept verified reviews. The tradesmen don't want to lose their reviews and it is quite an incentive to them to do a good job.
Post a Comment