Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Space heater and heating pads

 Lukas is happily nestled in his favorite chair with a small heating pad beneath him and I have the same on the small sofa, or when needed in my bed. The temperatures here may get down in the 30s the next few nights. I borrowed a space heater for the bedroom and will see how that does in terms of heating. The seventies builders of this place put in minimal insulation and single paned windows largely due to geography and different codes and I believe, costs. The central heating works, so can be used if the place gets too chilly or becomes cold. At this point, Lukas's back legs can sound like eggshells cracking due to crepitus and arthritis so the plan is to keep the heating pad on low and keep an eye out so he does not get too hot as recommended by the vet.

It has been several years since I've had need of thermals, so no longer have them but do have pants, socks and jackets. I've slept in a shirt and thin hoodie the last couple of nights under flannel sheets and blankets and been fine but plan on wearing more layers as required. I haven't needed a coat in many years here so will see if my jackets are sufficient. 

In the meantime, I'm making soup, enjoying the sunset and lighting the menorah.

Happy solstice. 


7 comments:

Boud said...

I see you're all organized for the cold spell. One of my neighbors is driving down tomorrow for Christmas with his daughter in Orlando, so he's forewarned about not expecting a lovely warm time!

Elephant's Child said...

Stay warm and safe. Both of you.

Ms. Moon said...

Happy solstice to you, too, dear e.
We Floridians are going to be totally shocked, are we not?

Sandra said...

I hope the soup warmed you. We are -12F today, it's going to stay there all day. It's winter in the Northland! Keep yourself and Lucas warm.

Anonymous said...

Stay warm and safe!

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear E, I hope you and Lukas are both keeping warm, cosy and safe at home. I heard the news about the arctic weather condition in your country which is worrying, and I hope that you have everything you need for emergency - food, drinks, batteries for light and other essentials. I'm thinking of you both. Please stay safe. I wish you and Lukas so many blessings, be safe, be warm and may all your Christmas wishes come true. Have a peaceful and safe Christmas.

LL Cool Joe said...

I really hope things don't get too cold there. We had minus -7F and even with the heating on it felt cold, but it's warmed up now, just wet instead.