Monday, December 19, 2022

Creaky

It was in the low fifties when Lukas went for his Monday appointment. The abode had chilled overnight to about 68 which is actually a bit warmer than my poorly insulated walls, single pained windows and wonky doors usually get. I realize that that is quite mild and even balmy to those of you in more northern climes but when you awaken to see your elderly cat wobbling on his pins due to arthritis, and you find yourself in some stiffness and pain. it is time to find a space heater and your heating pads.

He who was returned promptly and wisely went off for some beauty rest is now eating an early supper.  I have had hot cereal, banana and milk and homemade lentil vegetable soup today. As this is second night for Chanukah, when friends and family traditionally enjoy a festive meal, my leftovers, though warming, leave me thinking of times past when I would gladly bring a dish and a hostess gift to share with friends around the table. This year, those friends have two of three sons in another state and plan a dinner for themselves and another couple. I have left good wishes and thanks for the gift of a book left on the doorstep yesterday. Watching a beautiful sunset from my front window and enjoying the glow of my lighted menorah are simple, restorative pleasures in this season. 




6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A very happy Chanukah to you and to Lukas. I do hope that both of your pains have eased.

Ms. Moon said...

I hope you stay warm and cozy this weekend when the temperatures are going to get colder.

Sandra said...

Happy Chanukah. That is a lovely view to see everyday. I don't know where you live but I do know damp cold is the worst. We were -7 F this morning but we are used to it and have the clothes to handle it. I hope you found a space heater!

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy Hanukah. I'm wearing my Hanukah socks now. Well, I'll wear them all year long. These things are so comfy.

Jenny Woolf said...

Hanukkah and Christmas definitely come at the best times of year. I am glad you are feeling cosy. I hope your pains and Lukas's have improved.

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous photo. Nappy Chanukah to you and to Lukas!