It is 2 AM and after taking out the household trash, unpacking some cleaning supplies, wiping down door knobs and retrieving a small load of laundry from the dryer, I now cannot wind down to return to bed.
This happens with increasing regularity and because I get tired during the day, naps have become part of this new normal. Meditation helps a bit, but not enough. Last night I was up until 4 AM and fell asleep just after dinner about 7 PM, rising about eleven to go to the bathroom and do chores.
I am working on my bedroom which I started yesterday. So far, I've cleaned the closet's louvered bi-fold doors, the blinds and some of the baseboards, the window sill and the cat area. Microfiber dusters with a telescopic wand should help matters once they arrive, I cleaned the bathroom and sorted through the contents of the shelves on Sunday evening and Swiffer mopped the kitchen and bathroom floors, both of which will be done again tomorrow or Thursday. My next project will be sections of the front room and my tiny hallway. The kitchen floor grout, which was once white, is black, so that is also something I need to figure out, along with wiping down more blinds.
It may take me awhile as my back and leg are not fully cooperating at the moment.
9 comments:
I, too, am avoiding naps. I'd rather sleep all night but I do miss them.
You are going to have your apartment sparkling! I wish I had some motivation to do the same here.
I take my hat off to you in these strenuous cleaning jobs. And I hear you on the disturbed sleep. A lot of people have become unmoored from their usual routine. The anxiety of our time isn't helping.
That doesn’t sound too good. I frequently wake up at night (mainly from nightmares nowadays) but I wouldn’t dream of getting up and cleaning, although cleaning might be indicated. I make a cup of herbal tea, sit in the kitchen and read for a while and then have another go at sleeping. I am too worried about changing my circadian rhythm irrevocably. My husband turned day into night and vice versa when he fell seriously ill and it was a most difficult and unpleasant experience.
I can’t afford to turn covid stress into a permanent state of existence. But daytime naps have become a feature of my life.
I hear you. My time clock is completely out of whack too. I love your productivity and do hope that you back and leg settle down and play nicely.
Cleaning grout is one of my least favourite jobs, but it does look sooooo much better when it is done.
Hello,
It is so stressful when sleep becomes very disturbed which then, in turn, causes more stress and so the cycle continues. We can see how your cleaning regime may be an attempt to break this cycle but we wonder if t is working. The house must be spotless by now but are you happy with this?
Would a warm drink, a good book or some relaxing music be a more comforting way to occupy the small hours?
Time is a strange commodity these days we find. For us, the days seem to speed up rather than slow down and we can hardly believe the time which has whizzed by without our even noticing. We shall soon reach our one year lockdown anniversary but, in many ways, it seems like only a week ago. We counted the days and weeks at first and now the months pass by without a backward glance.
So, do take care of yourself. Nurture that wonderful creative spirit of years. Feed the soul with art....it is the highest form of hope, so they say.
Very constructive use of your waking hours!
Maybe after all the cleaning jobs have been ticked off, you will be reverse the cycle and stop being so nocturnal? Good luck with all of it - especially that kitchen floor task which sounds like it's going to be a tough one!
I find cleaning to be almost like therapy - but I like to do it in sprints; as if clearing the decks ready for more creative endeavours.
I hear you, I found myself going to bed later and later and then needing a heavy duty nap, sometimes 2 as I was so exhausted. I'm working on normalizing myself as I am at heart a night owl.
Good on you for all the cleaning, I don't have that gene unfortunately.
Covid and isolation is having some devastating effects on our mental health. I know I am affected.
XO
WWW
Post a Comment