The most recent weather forecast gives my area an eighty percent chance of tropical storm, possible tornadoes and increased chance of flash flooding today and into tomorrow. That means rain, wind and water. I'm fortunate not to be on the coast or on a large body of water and north of more flood-prone areas, I plan to do laundry, clean, read, and cook a meal for later today. Unless we have power outages.
Our rain and wind have been minimal although I did get caught out in pelting rain last night which was cold and made getting back inside difficult because both my hands and the rims of my chair were soaked.
A hot shower and a cup of tea remedied that quickly but I've have been up since 3:30 AM with both a call of nature and a ravenous cat.
Lukas will be ten by age estimate in January and has been newly diagnosed with the first stages of kidney disease, This is an incurable condition and one which will end in renal failure and death. How long he has until that point is anyone's guess but the roller coaster of symptoms has begun as I now give him both Mira Lax powder and pureed pumpkin mixed in to his prescription food so that he will poop regularly. Pumpkin also provides fiber and additional liquid. Constipation in cats for more than a day signals a serious problem and since I would need someone to shuttle him to the vet, and we have a worsening pandemic on our hands, he may not have the advantage of the enemas my vet gave my fifteen year old cat Jacob six or seven times.
Jacob was able to retain his appetite, avoid blockage and the development of another incurable problem called megacolon because I was able to get him to the vet swiftly. He died one year after diagnosis, aged sixteen. Lukas may have a much shorter lifespan, the fact of which breaks my heart.
Lukas is a sweet soul who deserves so much more than this...

19 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear this about Lukas. Sending you both love and hugs xo
I hear your concern about Lukas, and you're doing all you can. He happily isn't aware of this, and will continue enjoying life with you forever, as far as he knows!
What a time you're having with storms. I hope you get all your tasks done with no loss of power.
This breaks my heart.
I am glad that Lukas has you who will tend him with such tenderness and love. But that hardly helps you. Life is not fair. Not fair at all.
I am all too familiar with the heart ache you are facing, and the worry you endure. And thank you for the tip about pureed pumpkin. As I watch and worry about Jazz that is certainly something I will take on board.
Holding you and Lukas in my heart.
It seems like only yesterday that Lukas joined you. This is so very sad. I am so sorry. I hope you survive the storm without too much power outage.
XO
WWW
I am so sorry to hear about Lukas' difficulties. I understand your breaking heart. Hope that you many more good days with him.
I'm sorry to hear about Lukas's diagnosis. Hunker down and be safe, my friend.
I'm so sorry to hear about Lucas's diagnosis. He's a lucky chap to have you caring for him but it's horrible for you. (((Hugs)))
Sorry to hear about Lukas. Maybe your caretaking will extend his life beyond what's expected. You never know with animals.
Thank you and I send the same to you.
You are right and my heart has broken a thousand times but I just focus on the day in front of us. Hugs to you.
Thank you. Same here.
I got him in early 2018 so not long ago. I was lucky with the storm.
Thanks, so do I.
Thanks. We were safe and dry.
Hus back to you and thanks for your kind words.
I hope so!
I can only echo what others have said before me and am so sorry to read about Lukas. I send you and Lukas some warmth from my heart. x
Thank you for that kindness. I send the same back to you and D, stay well.
Post a Comment