Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Hello...

 I've not been here for awhile I hope all of you are doing well. I've been busily researching and that continues. I've also spoken to two different state archivists, a genealogist, a distant cousin and a couple of other librarians. Every avenue attempted to locate a second great grandfather somewhere in time prior to 1900 has been a dead end so I am now searching similar names since his is often misspelled.

Another great grandfather of the same vintage has been a joy to read about. He differs from the loads of southern farmers, drunks and the few immigrants I've discovered because he was born and raised on a farm in New York in a largely Quaker community full of tight-knit and often related families and raised his children there. A researcher now living in that area has been enlisted to obtain more information about this line. He was a reader, active in his communities in both Florida and New York and left journals which a cousin had the presence of mind to save and donate to a research library near his New York farm.

 Quaker history is interesting and Quakers have done a lot toward founding this country, from schools and colleges to farms and communities nationwide. I have not just one but an entire line of them.

In yet another line, I've found eleven times great grandparents in Yorkshire whose descendants came first to the Virginia Colony, then branched into parts of North Carolina. There are a few Quakers among them as well.

On a personal note, thanks for all of the very kind comments on my last post. I am limiting my time on all forms of social media these days but will get to blogs as I can.

Be well.

9 comments:

Live and Learn said...

Glad to hear that all is well with you and you are making good progress with your genealogy. How wonderful that you have found a journal that one of your ancestor kept. That is definitely a gem.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes, I've been wondering what you've been up to and how you are. I appreciate you stopping by my place regularly and commenting. Glad to hear you're finding out so much about your family. I keep thinking that it would be very interesting to do the same for my family but I've not yet put the first shovel into the fertile dirt of that history. Quakers are a very interesting and thoughtful group of people, aren't they?

Boud said...

Do you know what part of Yorkshire those early settlers were from? This is very interesting work you're doing. We have a lot to thank the Friends for.

Steve Reed said...

Hi E -- glad to hear you're well and staying busy. Interesting genealogical finds! I don't blame you for limiting your social media time. I'm doing the same, aside from blogging. (Which doesn't really feel like social media to me. More like a writing group!)

HBF said...

Glad you are well! I put a limit on my social media on my phone just last week. I think it's helping. Sending you luck on your research!

37paddington said...

Hello, you. May you find all the answers. Love.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that you are well!

Secret Agent Woman said...

When I found the Quaker Meeting, it really felt like home to me.

Glad you are well and I don't blame you at all for limiting social media.

Jenny Woolf said...

How very interesting your relative sounds. I have a lot of time for Quakers, they are good and unpretentious people and usually seem to have a very nice attitude to life. I had started going to Quaker meetings before lockdown and do miss them.