As I begin, the faint strains of Don Mclean's song, Vincent, echo in my courtyard. Our condominium has had workers here throughout quarantine, one of whom likes to fill the world outside with whatever his radio can offer. I suppose birdsong and the rustle of slightly swaying leaves cannot compete with soft rock and commercials. Watching a bird alight on the foliage just outside my sitting room window, I wonder whether these human noises hasten its departure...
Noise has increased since our gradual opening began last week. The volume and sounds of klaxon, horns and motors along the major road beyond my front door is but one example. While it is not yet where it was prior to our shelter in place orders, I do long for the quiet, especially in late afternoon if I am attempting to nap or read.
The TBR list is shrinking rapidly as I'm now finishing two to three books per week, spending less time online despite video chats and Zoom gatherings and working on family history.
Bur for an emergency, I am not going anywhere anytime soon.
What about you?
5 comments:
I'm devoted to staying put for the foreseeable future.
Our lockdown was relatively soft, but I revelled in the quiet streets and increased bird song. There is more traffic now, though it is not (yet) up to pre virus levels.
With the exception of my voluntary work I stay close to home. And expect to do so for some time to come.
Stay well, stay safe.
Only for necessity shopping am I going out.
We're just going for grocery runs and taking long walks. I'm in no hurry to do anything else. I'm waiting to see how many cases will surface as places begin to open up. I'd rather take my time.
At least he's listening to "Vincent" and not death metal!
Post a Comment