Sunday, May 10, 2020

1918 and 2020

 
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons 10 May 2020


The typewriter may be gone but otherwise this is eerily similar to current life for many of us. There is a poem by Kitty  O'Meara written on her blog, The Daily Round, that has gone viral along with the misinformation that it was originally written in 1869 and re-circulated in 1918 during the Spanish Flu pandemic. According to Reuters, O'Meara actually penned the poem and has been interviewed about it.

It is a lovely piece which I won't place here. You can visit the Daily Round blog for March 16, 2020 and have a read. O'Meara is a wonderful writer and in fact has several poems devoted to life during this pandemic, all of which resonated with me.

Happy Mothers Day to those who nurture!

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

It took a bit of finding but thankyou. This is a beautiful and heartfelt piece - and I hope that we do learn. I hope so much that we adopt a new normal (a kinder, gentler normal) rather than rush back to the lives we had.

e said...

Thanks for your interest. I'm glad you found it and I hope you liked it.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Have we learned anything or will we continue to be mindless about the virus in our rush to have things be "normal" again?

Anonymous said...

Eerie how history repeats itself!