Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Well...

Today was beautiful until grayness overtook the skies in early evening. We've not had promised rain. Despite this, everything from the trees to the foliage and flowers, remains verdant.  Spring in the time of pandemic disarray and mounting death seems off-kilter somehow. It is hard to look at all of this beauty and realize that some of us will not see it again. Equally difficult is the understanding of how little time was spared for the pleasure of nature last season compared to now when most of us isolate at home.

I sometime wonder at the hectic world we've created and have had to slow in order to survive. It seems what many of us once thought was important simply is not. When the pandemic ceases, will COVID stay behind in an altered form? What will we have learned? Will we live differently as a result?





11 comments:

Boud said...

All excellent questions. I wonder if once the immediate danger has passed, we will try to forget it. But it's changing us as people. I don't think we can just go back to being who we were. Maybe it's a good time to consider who we plan to be if we do get to see another spring.

Elephant's Child said...

I am pinning my hopes on us living differently. More simply, more compassionately. Time will tell.

jenny_o said...

You and I have been travelling the same mental paths, e. It's all so new and strange and at times very frightening. Thank goodness for nature to fall back on.

LL Cool Joe said...

Sadly I think many people will quickly forget and go back the their "normal" lives. But the loss of so many people will surely be a wake up call for some.

Ms. Moon said...

I don't think anyone truly knows what things will be like even a month from now, much less a year. We shall see, I guess. If we're lucky.

Shaheen said...

So well put and so true'wonder at the hectic world we've created and have had to slow in order to survive. It seems what many of us once thought was important simply is not'. I have been thinking the same too, but as LL Cool Joe above has mentioned, people will quikcly forget and got back to their 'normal' lives. Some people will just not learn.

37paddington said...

I hope we learn something from this. such a waste if we dont.

Secret Agent Woman said...

My sincere hope is that we will learn a lot of lessons from all this.

Anonymous said...

My hope is that people would wake up and live differently, more mindfully, compassionately. But my cynical side wonders if people will just go back to their old ways!

A Cuban In London said...

Over here people are complaining that the sun's having a laugh at us. We've ahd glorious days but remain in lockdown. However, if there were no coronavirus, it would be chucking down almost every day as it's customary during spring. :-)

Greetings from London.

Steve Reed said...

It will be interesting to see how things change, if at all. I must admit I suspect we'll go right back to where we were. (It's the cynical journalist in me!)