For those of you who did not read this post in 2015, the bottom portion refers to my lovely friend Pauline and her eldest daughter, Elizabeth, named for me, and a wonderful human being. I said goodbye to Pauline almost six years ago. She died of cancer at 53. Last week, I also bid a tearful and private goodbye to her daughter. She was married, recently pregnant, a graphic artist and a mother who leaves behind a five year old girl and a shocked family. She was a victim of COVID 19.
It was the hair color that I noticed first. You know, the shade that every unimaginative person on the planet refers to as “carrot-top?”
As the little girl’s feet moved back and forth, her head would dip, a syncopation fathomable only to her but amusing nonetheless. She was all arms and legs and flying braids as she turned, and spying my chair in the aisle of the store, flew toward me, saying, “Wow, your chair is cool.” To which she added, apropos of nothing, “Do you like my shoes?”
Normally, a late middle-aged woman in a wheelchair in twenty-first century America does not elicit this reaction. I glanced around, looking for the face of a worried parent, and finding no one, smiled as this small whirlwind skidded to a stop in front of me.
“Hello,” I offered. “You’re full of energy today.”
“Yep,” she said. I just got new shoes, see?”
Presenting her feet for my inspection, she removed a lollypop from a shirt pocket, unwrapped it and pushed it into her mouth, waiting for my reply.
Looking at the side of one shoe, I noted the redheaded hero to girls the world over, stating, “Oh, Pippi Longstocking was one of my favorites when I was a kid.” This was met with, “Mine, too. My grandma reads to me. We came to buy socks.”
Before we could take the discussion further, an older woman appeared, and saying, “Excuse us,” promptly seized the little girl’s arm, pulling her away as I bid them both a nice day.
It wasn’t until I was outside the store expecting the bus that I noticed tears welling, seeing in my mind’s eye, my late friend, Pauline, and her eldest girl, their two red heads close together, long ago, the first Pippi book, spread upon on their laps. Proof positive that the grieving brain makes strange connections.
16 comments:
I have no words.
Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring are flowing your way.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I could be with you giving you a hug.
Unbelievable. I am so sorry. There really are no words.
There's so much sadness in our beautiful world. xoxo Kate
I'm so sorry to hear about this, E.
I'm so sorry. How difficult for you, the family, and all who knew them. I think the two memories you connected together are lovely. I wish you many more fond memories.
Very, very sorry to read this.
My dear E,
My heartfelt condolences for your loss. I am very sorry to hear that your very good friend sadly passed away. It is terribly sad especially the isolation demanded in response to this infectious virus is preventing families and friends from being able to say farewell to loved ones in the way we're accustomed to at the end of a life. We observed a minute silence this morning in this country to commemorate the key medical workers at the front line who also lost their lives from caring for people with the virus. It show the indiscriminate nature of the Covid-19 virus on families, friends and loved ones. My heart goes out to you and your friend's family during this sad time.
I hope you are keeping well during this extremely challenging time. It takes a lot of courage to build up our mental resilience. For two months, my elderly neighbours haven't seen or touched anyone. It is tough even if one is comfortable, has food and can’t complain but it still requires strength to keep our courage up to stay inside because of the imposed regulations and restrictions.
I am thinking of you.
Best wishes, ASD
I'm so sorry to read this. Your love is so evident.
I'm so sorry to read this. How heartbreaking. Sending you lots of hugs xo
My heartfelt sympathies. How awful to lose both of them and for a young woman to give her life to the scourge that is COVID 19. And yet there are still people who don’t understand the relentlessness of the disease.
I'm so sorry for the loss of both of them. Cancer is a bitch, and so is Covid-19. I wonder how long it will be before we've all lost a loved one to this virus. Tragic.
I'm so sorry, e. It's hard to find the words to describe the hollowness that death leaves behind. My sympathy to you and to this young woman's family.
Oh, that is so sad. I'm sorry.
Thank you for your birthday wishes at my blog, e - I'm sorry not to have replied there - just couldn't drum up the energy to reply to everyone last week.
I am so sorry. This is brutal.
Post a Comment