It is 11:20 PM on a Friday night and I'm gloved and masked and waiting for a contractor on the way home from another job to stop by and figure out if I simply have a bad breaker or if something else is afoot since two of my kitchen outlets suddenly stopped working this afternoon. I've cleared the counter and moved the microwave across the room to an outlet that works so I know this isn't an appliance issue. I also told him I would be outside when he arrived and left the lights all on and the door open so he would have no need to touch them.
He restored the breaker and said if it continues to go off that he will replace it at no further cost to me. I put his check on the hood of his truck as I was going by. He had neither gloves nor any mask, so when I returned indoors, the microwave, counters, light switches and door knobs were all wiped down, my mask was washed and left to dry and I stripped and took a quick shower.
The anxiety involved in simply having something done quickly is almost palpable. I sometimes want to scream, and yet, I am alive and well today, unlike many here and across the world.
Earlier in the week, a friend from grad school days called and offered me masks made by her. They were delivered Wednesday, left with some wonderful homemade split pea soup at my door. I received a shipment of vinyl gloves yesterday and have offered her a box should she need them when her supply runs low. I also gave some to the couple who live behind me since they have been helping get groceries.
Today, I made a vegetable korma with greens, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and corn, so I'll enjoy that with rice this weekend. I also roasted some potatoes, cut fresh fruit and made egg salad. That is truly about as productive as I can be in the kitchen.
What about you?
13 comments:
I am glad your breaker was restored - but worry that he felt no need to protect himself or you.
I love hearing about the community you have found/created though friendshop and proximity.
Your cooking sounds excellent too.
Stay well, stay safe. And non infectious hugs.
We have been having some issues with our plumbing but are just putting up with it as we don't want to risk having a work person in the house. I do have gloves and some masks but waiting for more to arrive from China.
Hanging in there. Like you. Let's keep doing that!
The lengths we go to to protect ourselves and others is really wearing on me, both in the tediousness of the practices and the worry that I'm not doing them correctly. But really, all is good. My family is alive and well and so am I.
I find this social distancing think is kicking up my OCD. Is it really possible to avoid ALL possible contaminated surfaces in the world. In NYC, we have elevators, communal front doors. The best I can do when i go outside is not touch my face. But i live with others, my husband and my niece. I don't think they're as OCD as me.
I'm glad you got the breaker box fixed. But yes, a lot of people still don't get that touch is a danger right now. Everything is suddenly more laborious. I got a delivery of a couple of items this morning, and now I'm into wiping with alcohol, etc, it's a production.
But like you, I'm glad to be well and managing. Really happy someone brought homemade soup to you. That's a spirit booster if ever there was one.
I'm sure it's anxiety-producing to have a workman visit. Sounds like you did everything you could possibly do to make it a safe visit!
With all the unknowns about this virus, I feel you can't be too careful. It's terribly hard on the nerves, though, isn't it? I started having chest congestion and a headache last night and it was hard not to panic. My airways have been a bit irritated lately by wood-burning neighbours, and I was dehydrated last night so drinking water helped my headache. I feel fine today, but the thoughts that went through my head last night were not pretty. All we can do is our best and then hope to be lucky too. Take care, e.
It's nice to hear about people helping each other out. That's truly wonderful. Be well!
Fun on the masks. Sorry you're dealing with a lot of stress. Not fun. Good to read that the couple behind you helped with groceries.
We have been as careful as possible with gloves, masks and frequent washing. It's unnerving. And I am also cooking a LOT.
I'm glad you got your problem sorted. Keep safe! :-)
Greetings from London.
Hey E, your blog isn't letting me see comments anymore. Did something change in your settings?
Post a Comment