Humble origins and simple ingredients belie a wonderful combination of flavors. For those enjoying the sweetness of good quality tomatoes, the ordinary crushed canned variety which in some instances leave a tinny aftertaste, will not do.
The best whole or chunk tomatoes, rinsed and added to fresh cut basil and garlic with a touch of olive oil and decent, thin dough that crisps in your home oven, is what you are striving for. An alternative to chunk tomatoes is homemade sauce.
You won't run short of lutein, lycopene, vitamin C or other nutrients and your taste buds will thank you.
I enjoyed every morsel.
15 comments:
I live in NJ and the older generation still calls pizza tomato pie! And they grow their own tomatoes and basil for it.
YUM. Simple and delicious. Home grown tomatoes are always better than the tinned variety.
I've never heard of pizza as tomato pie, but I'll be making this Grandma Pie at home in the future. It was so good. Pizza is not something I eat frequently.
I completely agree but even the jarred or tinned can be good if quality is there. This pizza is unique to the US.
Okay. Now I'm really hungry.
I've never heard that phrase! Sounds yummy, though!
Another delicious meal, and a great name for it!
This is something you could make easily at home and that you might enjoy, especially with homegrown herbs or tomatoes.
It originated in New York! and it is yummy.
The re is a chef in Rome - Gabriele Bonci - who is known as the Michelangelo of Pizza! Interestingly, he uses spelt flour which is an ancient strain of wheat - we have varieties of spelt flour here in the UK, it has a wonderful depth of flavour but has less gluten so rises more slowly. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I actually showed yours - along with a few others - to some my university students recently as examples of blogger layouts. Best. M
Yum.
Thanks for your visit. I keep things here pretty basic, so if your students have any ideas...anyway, spelt would be a great alternative to traditional crust for this pizza. I may give that a try.
Indeed so!
This sounds soooo good!
It was!
Post a Comment