Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thursday...

It is 4:56 AM and I've been up since just after 1 when my bladder forced me into the bathroom. I've taken out refuse, cleaned the cat box, bowls and some dishes as well as putting away a load of laundry. As it stands, I will finish this post, make a list of calls needing attention, give Lukas his breakfast and attempt to sleep for a few hours.

It rained most of the night and our pavement is slick and full of dried leaves.The temperature has fallen and it is almost cool enough for a coat which brings to mind the first all-weather coat I ever owned and wore during a rainy European summer years ago.

Coming from the tropics, a coat was unheard of and it wasn't until we reached Florida that one could be found and then packed for the second and longest leg of our trip. It was tan with a hip seventies geometric design. A mere one hundred and twenty pounds back then, most available coats were miles too long on me. It was the only one that fit.  Among many adventures were the colder parts of Norway and Sweden and well worn by the time we made it to London,  I fell asleep in it sitting on some steps inside Harrods. After several misty days, it came with me to Stratford-upon-Avon and was almost lost on the bus. A February weekend visit to Bogota one year later led to a tear on the left sleeve which never mended, expanded with time.

Returning to Panama's equatorial heat forced a temporary retirement, but only until my first Florida winter as a college student. After that, it was used only sporadically until the sleeve began separating so badly that a friend inquired whether I was practicing to be a bag lady at Halloween.

It seems funny to me that I can recall photos, places, people and journeys by what was worn or even eventually worn out. Never by any standard a clothes horse, I nonetheless had favorite garments, this being one, and I would wear each until it was utterly bedraggled unless it no longer fit.

I've sometimes wondered what happened to it after the fateful day I left it behind at a Goodwill...

Cheers on this chilly morning.


15 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I am exactly the same way about remembering what I wore when. And I'm certainly not a clotheshorse either. Funny, huh?

Steve Reed said...

Favorite articles of clothing are always a good storytelling prompt. Wouldn't it be great to know what happened to it?

Elephant's Child said...

Co-incidentally it was 4.56 (on Friday morning) when I opened your post. Those pesky bladders are more insistent than cats.
There are very few items of clothing I remember that clearly. It is scents and sounds that send me rocketting back in time.
After your productive early start to the day I hope that you do get some sleep a little later.

LL Cool Joe said...

I've noticed that when I shop in AZ very few stores stock coats. Ever.

I don't tend to remember what I wear which is why I can often turn up to the same place months apart wearing the same thing, because I obviously felt it was appropriate at the time.

jenny_o said...

I am the same about wearing beloved clothing far beyond their best life. I just retired a winter jacket I've had for years. Well, semi-retired. It has one job left in life - it's my snow shovelling jacket now :)

Loved this story, e. Did you leave it at Goodwill as a donation or by accident?

Boud said...

I have no idea what I wore when. Except I do remember my wedding dress..but phrases and expressions stay with me forever, and the voice of whoever said them. And the place where I heard them.

Anonymous said...

I have a very small wardrobe, so favourite items are pretty typical for me! I wear my clothing until I either don't like it anymore and it's donated, or until it's worn out.

Jenny Woolf said...

I know someone who lost a pair of leather gloves and had them returned by mail from a stranger 40 years later. He'd put his staff number in one of the gloves and this person went to the trouble of tracking the number down at the large organisation he'd worked for, discovering he was retired, and getting the pensioners association to put her in touch. She'd found the gloves in her late father's effects, she said. The thing is, she lived over 3000 miles away on a different continent. What are the odds, eh? We were so impressed!

e said...

impressive and a very good story with more to it I would bet. Thanks for your visit.

e said...

Yup...interesting the things we have in common...

e said...

No idea though I have a notion it probably went onto the trash heap unless someone repaired the sleeve.

e said...

Best thing to do. Have a good weekend.

e said...

My motto is dress for comfort so I might easily do the same.

e said...

Goodwill was deliberate, so it was retired.

e said...

That is very interesting...Did you hang on to the dress?