Monday, February 24, 2020

Sunday...





This was my favorite part of an unanticipated shop today. I had called the driver who normally assists me to book an appointment for this week and was surprised when he asked if I could be ready to go within thirty minutes as he was working and in my vicinity.
As I readied myself by gathering list, bags, wallet and keys, I thought how fortunate I am to have this help, albeit paid, because shopping alone can be a hassle. In addition to the cab fare I give him between $25 and $40 which I budget into my shop and grocery costs and we generally  get enough for two weeks, stopping for a coffee along the way. My go-to is usually the large Aldi on the outskirts of my neighborhood. Beyond basic foodstuffs, there are several higher priced alternatives, which I tend to avoid, in my area as well as the produce stand I like.

For my shop yesterday, I got both fresh and frozen vegetables, some organic strawberries and sliced watermelon, salad greens, bread and buns, veggie sausage, Kefir, cheese and half and half and my always needed cat litter. It was nice to be able to do this on a Sunday rather than a weekday evening and get it done quickly.

The afternoon was warmish and beautiful and would have been a great beach day but for the cost of getting there from where I live so I contented myself with a roll about once I was home though I would have preferred a change of scenery.

Did you have a favorite thing about your day?

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for getting the shopping done. Even without your challenges the grocery shopping is a chore I dread.
My favourite part of the day (any day) is moments stolen with a book when guilt about yet to be done/undone tasks doesn't overwhelm me.
And of course, being welcomed home (how ever brief the absence) by a purring cat.

Boud said...

I wrote a response, hit the wrong button and lost it. Okay, back again, to say I really admire your ability to seize the chance to shop right away instead of as planned.

And your narrative of your day is lovely to read, opening a door to your life, different climate, different process than mine. I like the detail of what food you picked up!

Steve Reed said...

Good timing! Glad it worked out so well. You can always head over to your pool. Do you ever use the pool area?

jenny_o said...

It's nice to get a chore done at a different time than usual and then when the usual time comes, it feels like freedom.

Anonymous said...

I'm always relieved when the shopping is done! I actually enjoy grocery shopping. I just don't enjoy having to put everything in its place when I get home!

The Happy Whisk said...

I love good strawberries. Like Martha above, I enjoy grocery shopping. Only now, I do it very little but that's okay, we're savings a lot more and getting that debt paid off. Or, we will be once my tooth is paid for. Anyway, yum on produce. YUM!

Blondi Blathers said...

My favourite thing about TODAY is discovering your fine writing! It's my first time to your blog; I saw the link over at Steve Reed's webpage. Next, to figure out where you are and all that; guess I'll just keep reading, and it will be a pleasure. -Kate, in Saskatchewan

e said...

Hello Kate, I went to your blog but was unable to log on and leave a comment. Thanks for your visit and feel free to return any time you like. I hope you will be able to plant and eventually enjoy your Zinnias. We had those around when I was a kid in the tropics and I always enjoyed the colors. Have a great day and be well.