Saturday, February 29, 2020

Josephine the Plumber?

It isn't the toilet but aging pipes. Three and one half hours after beginning the process with a proper plunger, just when I was about to give up, the clog cleared with minimal mess in its wake.

I wish I could dance! Nothing makes me happier than knowing I don't need a plumber on weekend overtime. I also do not have the hassle of attempting to use a snake from a seated position which can be extremely awkward, if past experience is any indication.

Strong arms and an even stronger constitution have once again proven useful and I hope that tomorrow, when a friend visits, there will be no further complications.

These pipes have always been problematic. Twenty years ago as I was just moving in, a couple of helpers were forced down the street to McDonald's while I dug a plunger from a box and went to work.
Little did I realize how often through the years I would need that particular household item.

Do you know that the rounded, gasket type rubber plungers commonly available in grocery stores are actually intended for sink drains? The appropriate plunger for a toilet is long handled and has a rounded plunger with accordion folds and an opening. It works well but with older pipes, I've been advised to plunge for a bit, pause, work longer, pause again and check to see if the water in the bowl is receding slowly.

If so, continue until the clog clears. This can take awhile and hopefully, no-one will be in dire need in the interim, as I was this evening...

I have been told that caustic chemical products can actually damage pipes and have thus far avoided them. People have also shared tips such as pouring hot water down the toilet to release a clog. I have no idea if this actually works as none of these brilliant souls has included a suggestion for how I am to get a boiling kettle into the bathroom from the kitchen while pushing a wheelchair. I would hate to be burned or scalded in the attempt.

I wonder if Josephine the Plumber had more than Comet in her bag of tricks...

Happy Sunday.

16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A big hooray for Josephine. And hopes that her services will not be called on again too quickly.
There is a very real satisfaction to 'doing it self' isn't there?

LL Cool Joe said...

Well done you. Yes I have a loo plunger and a sink plunger. I wouldn't be without them.

Live and Learn said...

At least you got a great pay off for all of that hard work--being about to use the bathroom. Hope it is a very long time before you have to go through this again.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh my goodness! I haven't thought about Josephine the Plumber in decades!
You are a persistent woman!

Boud said...

Nothing says good hostess like working plumbing!

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I wouldn't try that hot-water technique! I've heard of that for sink drains, where the clog is likely to be partly oil or grease, but not for toilets. Glad things seem to be working again!

jenny_o said...

Yay for persistence! I expect it takes strong core muscles to plunge a toilet from a sitting position. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. My hat is off to you!

e said...

Yep, but I'm starting to worry about the pipes under the foundation here...

e said...

Thank you. I completely understand the necessity.

e said...

It has been a month...

e said...

Thanks! I have no choice with only one loo...

e said...

Absolutely!

e said...

I saw aq guy do that for a loo on Youtube and it took awhile...

e said...

Thank you!

The bike shed said...

What a subject! But I guess we all have blocked pipes at some time. I have one of those accordion type plungers and they work well. We recently had 5 girls as houseguest - all with long hair - the shower only just coped - ha ha - but inevitably the drain was clogged eventually. Another good gadget is an extension hose that fits to a pressure washer - you snake it down the drain and then turn on the pressure - that unblocks most anything!!

Anonymous said...

Very well done! Anytime a plumber is not needed is a good thing :)