The boy made it home today and spent the first part of the evening chilled on his mat in our front room. He drank, ate a bit and took his pain med with nary a peep, eventually headbutting, purring and licking my hand in response to stroking.
Our mutual happiness was only slightly dimmed when, two hours later, I attempted to move his carrier and noticed the distinct aroma of L'Aire du Chat, which has nothing in common with a similarly named fragrance from Nina Ricci.
Chalking this up to nervousness at being hospitalized, anesthetized, surgically altered due to a molar removal and then transported in a car by someone not his, I set about washing his carrier mat, my third small load of laundry today. The odor, however, remained. Luckily, my strong constitution prevailed
At this point, I knew the carrier needed scrubbing and took a minute to gather towels, Nature's Miracle, and assorted thoughts. Large enough for a medium sized standing dog, this thing was not going to fit into the bathroom sink. I opted for the kitchen, clearing the counter of everything while leaving room for the flexible hose so that all I had to do was angle its bottom and use a scrubber which could then be thrown away.
Things went well until the hose slipped from my hand, showering me and le adoring chat. Those of you familiar with cats know that short of drinking it, they hate water, especially when sprayed upon them. Mine made a break for the farthest flung hiding spot he could find in our apartment, leaving me to sop up the kitchen floor, dry out the bottom of his carrier and re-assemble it, all while waiting for the washing cycle to end so that his mat could be dried.
You might think that putting his palace to rights would be quick. If so, I won't tell you about the two hours it actually took me, wet, smelly and .peeved. The door fell in, so the top and bottom had to be loosened enough to allow it to stand in the plastic grooves intended to allow it to swing open and shut. Then, there was a small plastic lock that fell from its housing and though nothing was broken or missing and I could see how it was supposed to fit, no try as I might, it would not work
Undaunted by this trial to my limited fine motor skills, I took a breath, let loose a string of curses and tried one last time, finally finding just the right groove to lock the piece in place. Good thing you cannot see my self-satisfied smirk. That vaguely lingering smell? It is now ,me and comes from carrying his malodorous laundry on my lap to the washer. Happily, the second shower of the day will be in the bathroom, as it should be.
Cheers!
9 comments:
Attar of cat is very special indeed.
I feel for you and am very impressed at your eventual triumph over the carrier.
One of our cats used to put his tail between his legs and defecate as we pulled into the vet's driveway. Every time. The vet's first job was to clean him up, and there was malodorous laundry to do as soon as we got him home.
PS: I am very, very glad he is home safely and has forgiven you for the vet trip - and hopefully also for the accidental shower.
oh, my! What a mess for both of you. Here's hoping that today is a calm, routine day.
He was just making sure you knew he was home! I'm glad he's doing well, and the carrier caper, well, that's one of the little known joys of pets.
I hope today's less eventful.
As my husband says, "Things always take longer than you think they will."
And are often far more difficult.
You have such a lucky kitty.
Oh no! What a trial! I'm glad Lukas is home and hopefully now that that drama is past, he'll settle in quietly.
L'Aire du Chat! Oh, I know that very well. It is quite a mess to clean up.
Oh, yeah, they can be um.. fragrant.
Oh, cat pee is the worst - and hard to remove. We got one cleaner from the vet that was, believe it or not, worse than the pee itself. Then found a different one at the hardware store that blessedly, blessedly worked :)
I hope everything has calmed down now and Lukas is back to eating regular food and you have been able to recuperate.
Post a Comment