Friday, February 21, 2020

I'm No Social Butterfly But...

In the last week, I've caught up with two friends, one of whom is now retired due to medical issues. In the first instance, she and I were to meet up with a third but that did not happen. We took matters into our own hands and went for lunch at Outback in my neighborhood. It wasn't crowded or overly noisy and the service was great. We caught up and laughed, always important. This friend was a Fulbright Scholar and is very engaging. The next chapter of her life is a huge transition and I hope she will be happy.

The other friend is someone I see more often but in shorter bursts. She works full time and has a family and an equally busy life beyond her job. We made plans to go to an eatery neither of us had visited before and I treated her. She does a lot for me and Lukas and is a wonderful friend. We had a reservation for 6:15 and wanted to arrive with plenty of time to find parking.  As it turned out, she dropped me off, then had to park her car in a grass lot across the street.

Ella's Folk Art Cafe, in the heart of Seminole Heights, offers its own twist on Chef-prepared southern comfort food. Besides meat loaf and chicken pot pie without the traditional pastry crust, there was blackened fish over grits, a curry dish, several pizzas, salads and burgers. I can recommend the fish over grits with greens and tomato jam. It was perfect! My friend had a another chicken dish and was quite happily stuffed, too. I got the chicken pot pie to go and it made a fabulous change from the sandwich or salad I often have at mid-day. The top is actually seasoned bread crumbs, very similar to those used for stuffing but baked and more crunchy. The sauce and vegetables were well seasoned and the chicken chunky and plentiful. While not something I eat often due to my childhood trauma over the Swanson's frozen variety of pot pies, I would gladly eat this creation again.

Though it got noisier over the time we were there, we were still able to talk and generally had a very nice evening. The one drawback was having a bar in the middle of the downstairs section. We were seated close enough to pick up both the noise from patrons and draw the eye of a gentleman who came over to our table twice to kiss my hand and try a pick up line. Wobbly, whether from his eighty years or too much beer, he was at least polite and went his way without a fuss. He wished me a long life and I wished him a happy one.

On that note, I'll wish you all a relaxing weekend. 

Cheers.

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

As you may recall, I adore chicken pot pie. Just about any chicken pot pie, even the humble Swanson's variety. But fish over grits with greens and tomato jam sounds unbelievably good. Glad you to to go out and be social and eat delicious foods!
Yeah, no need to wish the old guy a long life. Obviously, he's already having one.

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad you had these meet ups. And love your wish for the elderly gentleman. Don't we all want a happy life?

jenny_o said...

I know I shouldn't, but I love any cheap chicken pot pie because I'm all about the pastry, not the filling. However, I do try to eat more healthily now that I'm on the down slope of life, and seasoned bread crumbs on a crust-less pot pie sounds like a tasty alternative to calorific crust. Thanks for passing that tip along.

Glad you got to see your friends and enjoy nice meals. Not so sure about the older fellow but it made for an amusing bit in your post!

LL Cool Joe said...

What would we do without our friends? I haven't got many, but the ones I do have are always there for me. I've needed that recently. Glad you had a nice time.

Shaheen said...

I haven't had pot pie in a long while. This is a nice post meeting up with friends. Your post made me smile, esp. with the gentleman who came over to your table twice! to kiss your hand and try a pick up line. I think you were very nice, as i am sure i would have given him a stern look.

Live and Learn said...

I love pot pie, including the Swanson one. However, the one you got sounds really good.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Ah, men in bars. Always so hopeful! Glad he moved along.

The food sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to get together with friends. One of my favourite things!

I really like chicken pot pie. Occasionally I make it at home. It's a favourite around here!

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I hope the guy at the bar wasn't TOO annoying. I don't know Ella's -- I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town!