Sunday, December 8, 2019

A Re-post from this day in 2009

It's a rainy day in the neighborhood and I decide to duck into a nearby diner for the soup du jour. A regular for some years at this establishment, I know the owner, the handful of employees and a part-timer or two by name.

As I take a seat at the counter, extend greetings to the proprietor and glance at the door, a man carrying a small boy enters. After carefully arranging the child and his toys in a seat adjacent, he orders their lunches, then spends several minutes playing quietly with the boy.

My soup arrives, and after the first bite, I hear the man, a British expat, tell the waitress that he is going back to Europe for a visit. She, a high school graduate, responds, "Oh wow...Is Europe in England?"

I see the dimmest smile begin to creep across his face...as he says with a wink:

"Well, not all of it, only the best bit."

Methinks our high schools need to re-tool their geography curricula, assuming they still teach that...


What do you think?


5 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I think, "Help us Jesus." And so forth.

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh.
Perhaps the waitress zoned out during geography lessons. Maths was my downfall, but I did retain some at least.

Steve Reed said...

Oh, brother. Well he had a snappy answer, at least!

Shaheen said...

I shake my head...need I say more?!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...that is so funny! And kind of sad :)