Monday, August 5, 2019

Birthday...

My sixtieth year began with a very hot but beautiful morning. Making for the Channel side area, I was glad it was Sunday and traffic was light.  The trip was a breeze and valet parking offered at the entrance to the Tampa History Center meant no worries about either the car or slogging through the already 90 degree 
heat.

The History Center is four floors of exhibits devoted to Tampa area history, exploration, growth and heritage and features interactive, photo and material displays of various types. I was fascinated by all of the very old Florida maps which are not everyone's cup of tea.

At street level, one finds a small museum store and the Columbia Cafe, a smaller version of Tampa's venerable restaurant. Two friends and I enjoyed lunch and I was given a birthday Flan which is pictured below. After several hours, the three of us headed to the opposite end of town for a slice of homemade vegan carrot cake. Gifts were unwrapped and funny cards from friends and family were exclaimed over. My uncle's home movie clip DVD was a hit.

By the time the resident feline and I piled into bed, sleep could not come quickly enough. I am extremely grateful to have reached this milestone. Thanks to all for the kind birthday wishes.





15 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

What a beautiful cafe! I think I may have eaten there. And flan and creme brulee are my two very favorite desserts. May I ask you a question? Is Las Novedades still open in Tampa?
I am so glad you had a good birthday celebration with friends.

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds (and looks) like a truly lovely day. I am a huge fan of old maps too.
I am so glad that your birthday was lovely and hope it sets a precedent for the year(s) to come.

e said...

Thank you, it was beautiful and we had a nice time. I looked up and put the answer to your question in the comments for your blog. Learned some more local history. I love that!

e said...

Thank you! I hope so, too.

Live and Learn said...

Visiting a museum sounds like just the way I'd like to celebrate my birthday, also. Dinner with friends would be icing on the cake-or should I say flan.

Friko said...

Happy belated birthday wishes, at 60 you are a mere youngster.
And it was a lovely way to celebrate the day, with friends and special treats.

Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a great birthday! I visited that history museum several years ago with my mom and found it fascinating. And we ate at the Columbia cafe too!

I saw Ms. Moon's question about Las Novedades and your answer on her blog -- I remember El Goya but I don't think I ever went to Las Novedades. I'm pretty sure I've heard the name, though.

Shaheen said...

60 is the new young!
So pleased to read that you made the most of it with friends, and i must say that flan looks very good. Once again, Happy Birthday - even though this time its belated.

37paddington said...

It sounds like a wonderful time with good friends. May 60 be all you wish.

e said...

I wish I felt like a youngster but time is catching up. We had a good time. Thanks for your visit.

e said...

There was a store in Ybor with that name but nothing to do with the restaurant.

e said...

Thanks for those kind words!

e said...

Thank you!

jenny_o said...

A very good birthday, by the sound of things! Belated wishes for the day, but also warm wishes for a great year.

Secret Agent Woman said...

A belated happy birthday to you!!!