There is nothing like a little enforced solitude to heighten one's appreciation of quiet. I've begun this practice just as my aging computer has begun to fade. The screen goes out for no apparent reason rendering online tasks impossible.
The upshot of course is that I cannot then scroll through endless e-mails, submit blog posts or save anything pertaining to my life online. After some time on the phone with a support technician, I apparently have a hard drive problem which may or may not have been resolved. Further diagnostics are necessary and Apple now considers this a vintage computer and will probably refer me elsewhere for needed repair.
What I've noticed, however, since returning to this post is that my screen is staying lit and I am able to type and read without any problem. As this is a holiday weekend and I must arrange transport for myself and a large desktop. This means a willing friend and sometime next week when both of us have a window of time to go across town.
The support person was not familiar with the error code generated, so, with everything at least temporarily working as it should, I'm not sure I should do anything other than contact the nearest store and ask what the code means if anyone there is familiar with it.
Ever had a fading screen that goes to black?
Happy fourth, everyone...
12 comments:
Our aging computer throws hissy fits often. It either decides to freeze, to go black or occasionally to produce a multi-coloured screen of death. Reboots often fix the issue. Temporarily. I would at least start with a phone call to check on the error code. If you have to go out with the computer - good luck.
I am a lover of quiet though. As I type it is well before dawn and the house and the street are both virtually silent. Bliss.
Not exactly that symptom, but ours does slow down and hang up a lot. I think we have a failing hard drive, also. Do you have your important stuff backed up some way? We have an online service, Carbonite, that saves things for us.
Does it suddenly go black or gradually fade? I don’t know that problem, but computers used to have something called a “video card” that caused the display to fail when it went bad. I remember my mom had to have her video card replaced. This was ages ago, though. I have no idea whether computers are still made that way!
I don't have anything to save at this point. I agree about the solitude. This is a hardware problem. The cooling fan has gone bad and the screen suddenly goes black if too hot.
I don't know enough about computers to answer that. They are a blessing and a curse, aren't they?
How I dislike computer problems. Fingers crossed, it's been awhile. Our son is very knowledgeable about computers and can usually help. I'm sorry I have no advice for you. Good luck getting out to get it fixed.
Yes, I did, and the clever people at Apple sorted it eventually. But all had to be wiped, saved elsewhere, I don’t know where, the screen was retrieved, the contents returned and all was well again. But I wouldn’t have any ideas how the whole thing was performed. The computer shop will be able to help if the problem returns. Perhaps it won’t and it was just a temporary blip caused by giving mixed messages?
Ageing computers are a nuisance. I hope you manage to get yours fixed soon.
sometimes things fix themselves! I hope this is true for you.
A black screen is a bad sign, I think. That's about the most I can offer. If it's the battery, that's an easy fix. If it isn't, you might have a new laptop in your future.
best wishes and love
kj
e- how could I not know that you have a blog?
I am so embarrassed.
Well, thanks to Steve I now know.
I surely hope you get your computer fixed. I have a feeling that my MacBook is vintage as well. I knock wood every time I open it up.
This is a 27 imch desktop, and the coolimg fan has died.Though it can be re[aired, it only comes with a 90 day warranty from Apple for the part.So yes, there is certainly a new computer in my future. Thanks.
A new-ish computer is in my future. I hope you'll visit more often.
Post a Comment