Half way through my weekly massage, voices were heard outside my door, one of which involved a ladder. These days, that fills me with dread. After the premature demise of my air conditioning system due to tarping, I was in no mood to see another round of stupidity compromise my new compressor.
Encountering my upstairs neighbor, she shared photos of the black mold spreading throughout her closet from a long term leak that our HOA has repeatedly failed to fix. She is showing signs of headache and cough and her dog isn't well, either. The attorney for whom she works has advised her to seek legal help in dealing with this. I do not blame her for doing so if medical and repair costs and loss of clothing or vet bills are involved. She has been assured that the roofing material will be removed and a new roof installed but in the meantime, a piece of plastic and duct tape have been placed on the edge of the roof, supposedly not over our compressors.
Upon receipt of the photos from the property manager, our condo association president remarked that maybe my neighbor should sue the roofing manufacturer. While that may come to pass, it does not solve any of the more immediate problems in this situation and taping plastic sheeting is also shortsighted.
Not being a trusting soul where stupid people are concerned, I called a fellow owner who is a general contractor and asked that he come here and photograph the roofing materials and where they are so that I could have some documentation if something happens to the compressors. I am also concerned that the mold could continue to spread and if there is enough to be causing headaches and other symptoms for my neighbor and her dog, it should be cleaned up immediately. Having another pair of eyes may help.
12 comments:
Aaaargh.
I am so very sorry. You don't need this. Nobody needs this.
I thought this post was going in a very different direction from your first sentence. I need to get my mind out of the gutter. :D
Mould can be a serious health issue, I hope the roofing issue is solved soon!
It just never ends! Having a contractor take some photos is a good idea.
I'm sorry you have to worry about this. There is such a thing as anti-mold paint, which you might consider as extra insurance. We used it in a bathroom where there is no window and the air vent doesn't work properly, and it has made all the difference.
It is SO ridiculous for your condo president to pass the problem back to the owner and suggest she sue. (Because won't she also sue the condo association?!) That's just a really pathetic response.
Well, I'm sure wherever your mind was going was probably a lot more interesting than morons with ladders!
Indeed it is but you are beginning to understand the mentality here...
I'm sorry you're dealing with such crap.
And black mold. How awful! Your neighbour's health is seriously at risk!
Thank you and I completely agree!
What a mess. Mold is nothing to fool around with.
I hope my neighbor presses the issue and that it gets removed.
Black mould is nasty stuff. It has affected a couple of people I know. It does not seem fair that your neighbour should have the problem of taking legal action just to get the owners to do their job. YOu did well to get the photos taken.
Post a Comment