Friday, January 18, 2019

Another Sick Boy...

Lukas and I saw his vet this week for his yearly check up snd vaccinations. Upon learning that he had lost a pound, the vet requested permission for blood work and a sample was drawn and dispatched to the lab.

The results were not what I expected but rather what his vet may have suspected: Lukas has thyroid disease. This means a tumor is growing on his thyroid which can cause havoc in his body, leading to weight loss, kidney disease, liver problems and a host of other things which could shorten or take his life. 

The options are not wonderful: Medication to reduce the symptoms which will not kill the tumor but will eventually effect his liver or kidneys or radioactive iodine treatment which can kill the tumor but which in some instances can also kill cats. This option also comes with a hefty $1500 or so price tag. 


While this is hardly good, I am fortunate to have savings I can earmark for the task ahead and I've decided to seek a consultation with the vet who specializes in the I131 radioactive iodine procedure and await a call from his office this week. Lukas's vet has already sent over his labs and will wait to hear his assessment. 

Should Lukas be unable to have the treatment with radioactive iodine, then medication and the  knowledge that further complications will eventually arise from which he will die will be the only option. 

Having seen that with another of my cats for which neither pills nor transdermal ointment stabilized her thyroid, I'm sorry as hell that Lukas at perhaps eight, is having to go through this. I hope that my best effort on his behalf will bring with it the best result.

In the meantime, lots of cuddles, sleep, playtime and his favorite foods will be had freely.

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am beyond sorry that you and Lukas are facing this. No words, but oceans of caring for you both.

Live and Learn said...

One of my cats had hyperthyroid disease that was well controlled by transdermal medicine for several years until he died from other things at the ripe age of 18. I don't know if it's the same situation for you cat, but I wish you luck.

crafty cat corner said...

Commiserations on Lukas. The trouble is we love them so,so much don't we. It must be hard to decide wether to put a loved one through the treatment or let them go but Lukas doesn't look like an old cat. As long as the treatment doesn't make him suffer it might be the best way to go. Keep in touch.
Briony
x

Steve Reed said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. As you know, this is a very common problem in middle-aged cats. My cat Armenia had the "radio cat" treatment with the radioactive iodine and she was fine afterwards. I used the medication for Howard and it was a real pain in the neck -- and as you said, it had side effects. I'd definitely opt for the radioactivity, given a choice. Good luck!

jenny_o said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, e. It makes for a heavy heart, doesn't it?

Hoping for the best outcome under hard circumstances. And Lukas has you, his loving companion, to be with him along the journey, which is so much more than many kitties have.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this :( Wishing him well. xo

Secret Agent Woman said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that about Lukas. I hope the treatment helps.

The Happy Whisk said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry to read this.