Saturday, December 15, 2018

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

It has rained for most of the past two days with most of it coming down steadily last night. Gray and overcast skies meant we were cool. I managed to get groceries today without getting caught and while I expected further rain this evening its cessation was a nice surprise. Though tornadoes were possible, according to area meteorologists, none happened here. It feels more like November than mid-December.

Long-awaited lunch plans with a friend who has been abroad were hastily and as it turned out needlessly changed to this coming Friday. The exterminator and massage therapist will both visit Monday and I've a pile of bills and correspondence begging for attention. Another friend has momentary tummy troubles and yet one more is planning knee replacement. The fifties have been a real kick in the pants in some ways, and because December marks a particularly stark anniversary for me, I've drawn inward a bit more than usual.

My balm appears to be music of all genres, thanks mostly to YouTube, and I focus upon that for which I remain grateful. I also notice that while possible change of housing still looms large, mentally and emotionally, I've begun to let go of my attachment to this place. I will have been here for twenty years in February of 2019, something I still find hard to believe. Though I like the apartment, it will be very easy to leave the neighbors and this HOA behind should ongoing negotiations result in a sale of the property.

In the interim, the cat and I take refuge in our routines. He sleeps, I read, write and meditate, holding open my curiosity about what the future may hold. My subconscious mind is in a bit of overdrive since the last two non-fiction books I've read each deal, albeit differently, with the subject and realities of homelessness and the growing problem of lack of affordable housing. 

Florida is not cheap anymore. While it is still possible to find a "reasonably priced" abode, the market is crowded with vulture investors and myriad flippers, all eager for their piles of cash and property insurance rates are another matter entirely. I may not have the luxury of time in weighing any decisions if and when the time comes simply because things can change on a dime in this market. Additionally, if there is a deadline for leaving, that will only increase the pressure to find a new home of whatever sort quickly.

Right now, however, I must get to bed. My brain needs respite. 

Cheers!


7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sleep well - and good luck with whatever the future brings.

Live and Learn said...

The subconscious mind can certainly be a busy one. Good luck in calming it and the whole housing issue. Uncertainty is the worst.

37paddington said...

Good luck with the home search. After the headache of it is done, I hope you love wherever you land.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Oh boy. Finding a new place is never easy. Hope you are able to sleep!

Anonymous said...

Our mind does work overtime some days. I wish you luck in your home search. Affordability for housing is getting worse everywhere. It's all greed.

jenny_o said...

It must be hard to keep your equilibrium but it sounds like you are doing well at it so far. Good luck with all that still lies ahead. I hope something serendipitous falls in your lap just when you need it.

Steve Reed said...

Well, step by step, right? Your place may not get sold at all. And if it does, I have no doubt you'll find something. It just sucks to think all the effort and renovation you've recently put into your unit may be for naught.