Saturday, July 21, 2018

Twenty Years...

Twenty years ago on July twenty-first, my mother was found dead in her home by a friend who was scheduled to accompany her to chemotherapy. She was fifty-nine and terminally ill with cancer that began in her lungs and metastasized, eventually working its way into her brain and bones. I had just been told she had six months or less to live.

Having begun a job in my city two weeks prior to this, I came home from work on a rainy evening to an answering machine laden with bad news and was reeling from shock when her brother called to say he was on his way to me from another state and that I should pack a bag and await his arrival. The next few hours and days remain a blur, even now.

The complicated relationship my mother and I shared is one all too common amongst mothers and daughters though it often takes a bit of courage to untangle and write about. While I know she loved me, her need of control, security and to be right overshadowed whatever tenderness she felt and while she prized proper
behavior, obedience and good manners, her elegant public decorum, sarcastic sense of humor, beauty and charm were often lost to private anger or rage which I've touched on only briefly in other posts.

Years of searching for answers has lead to speculation as to why this was so. What I do know however is that she refused to see a mental health professional with me when the subject was broached, adamantly denied she was dying in the face of mounting evidence, brooked no conversation whatsoever of end of life care or personal matters and then demanded forgiveness for "a lot of mistakes."

Her end-of-life belligerence was based in fear, as had been many of her life's decisions, a situation over which I had no control. I remember pausing, taking a breath and thinking," I must take the high road here and accept this," something which though painful, I've never regretted doing. This was, after all, the woman who brought me into the world, fought tooth and nail to provide education and independence for us both, and who, along with her mother, modeled the life of a working woman which I was expected to follow.

A smoker since her earliest adolescence, this and other less than wonderful habits caught up with her in the last fifteen months of her life resulting in a devastating diagnosis. I hope she is finally at peace. Her name was Sarah.

Until Next Time...

10 comments:

Live and Learn said...

I can only imagine the conflicted pain you have felt over you life. I hope that time has helped resolve some of it.

Anonymous said...

I do hope she is at peace. Relationships between mothers and daughters can indeed be very complicated.

Birdie said...

It is so hard to see our parents as broken humans. But in the end, they are. We all are.

Elephant's Child said...

As you know, this strikes a very, very familiar chord.
Hugs.

37paddington said...

Your mom was very beautiful. Have you come to an understanding of why she was as she was? I applaud you for taking the high road. It must have been hard.

Wisewebwoman said...

What a beautiful and heartbreaking post, E. You capture your mother with all her faults and assets too. How she must have suffered in her isolation and being so unreachable. And her final illness is haunting.

At times we just have to accept the unsolvable. Her early life remains a mystery to cause such distance and judgement.

Big hugs.

XO
WWW

jenny_o said...

Remember the good, as you have done. Having a good education and the ability to be independent are such critical factors in having a decent life. I am sorry that so many other areas of your lives were difficult. Do you feel that those areas of conflict had any redeeming aspects, such as making you more empathetic? Still, it's a high price to pay.

Secret Agent Woman said...

It's hard when you lose a parent you had a complicated relationship with. I felt like I got at least some resolution with my dad before his death and I'm working on coming to peace with my mother before she's gone. The fact that a parent is very flawed doesn't lessen the loss, does it?

Jenny Woolf said...

Love and exasperation and pain combined in this post. But it seems to me that you have achieved an understanding of your mother that you can live with, and that is good.

Snowbrush said...

Another commonality inasmuch as my mother is also dead, and had smoked since her mid-teens. The anger, though, was on the part of my father, and it was such that no one else in the family dared show anger.