It has been black and dismal today due to continuing rain that is slated to last for several days. I'll be getting out in it tomorrow for a PT appointment. The back and hip pain is resolving slowly. Since this is a chronic problem, the best that can be done is to stabilize it for now, keep stretching, work on my core strength and hope that I can stay ahead of any pain with massage.
My current therapist uses a variety of modalities including Myofascial Release which is proving helpful. The second-hand table I purchased is new and comfortable and came with a set of very soft sheets. My next adventure will be to research how to ratchet down the inflammation in various areas of my body naturally. I've used ice, heat and movement for years as well as massage. My rather rudimentary chair yoga routine also seems to help a bit.
Lukas appears quite settled and has begun sleeping with me for small amounts of time. His evening routine now includes extra grain-free food and playtime designed to let us both slumber past 4 AM, the magic hour for feline antics.
Apart from PT and my normal errands, a new friend and I met up last week for a visit to a small neighborhood bookstore. A fixture in this area, and woman-owned, it is sadly on the verge of closing. Interestingly to me, I find its inventory of used books much more fun to dig around in than the new, glossier tomes offered at a nearby corporate establishment that comes complete with Starbucks.
The owner of the smaller store can and does order new books upon request and I have for years obtained gift certificates to give as presents for my tribe of bibliophiles. I will be doing so in the coming week and hoping all interested and gifted parties can get to the store before it is shuttered.
In closing, I would like to discuss the varied reactions to my previous post. Some of you very clearly understood where I was going while others took my remarks to be a condemnation of someone's personal choices. I viewed the situation as a cautionary tale for women in particular because so many of us end up with a pittance in old age, something that sadly, my now deceased friend will never see. I loved her and will miss her but she is an example of why I think girls and women need more financial education. Women tend to make less than men and financial choices are often more than just numbers because they have real consequences attached to them. If any of you remain offended by this, so be it.
Until the rain stops...
16 comments:
Ah...cats and their magic hour! Those of us who have cats understand that very well :) It sounds like Lukas is a really sweet companion.
Second hand books speak loudest to me on the whole as well. And I have difficulty resisting their siren song.
Managing pain is always a win, and I hope you add new techniques to your arsenal.
Feel free to send some of your rain here.
I have a good friend, and her husband left her 3 years ago. I meet up with nearly every week and tell her she must see a lawyer about her situation otherwise she will be left in old age with very little but she just won't listen to me. She doesn't work and I'm terrified and hasn't even set up a pension. But what do you do? The last time I mentioned it I made her cry, and I thought I'm going to lose her friendship if I mention it again.
I'm glad your back pain is resolving somewhat. And sorry that your neighbourhood book store is closing. If the owner is retiring, that is one thing, but if she is closing due to inability to turn a profit, that is quite sad. I often wonder if our two local used book stores earn a profit; I suspect they do not and the owners keep them going out of love of books.
I love a good used book store. Which store are you talking about? I hope it stays open!
So many impoverished women often owed
$100,000s in back child support and alimony. I've seen it all having been in the business I was. Not forgetting we earn 66c for every $ paid to men.
We need another revolution.
XO
WWW
We worry so about financial security and then it’s over. I wonder if your friend felt relief to know she would not have to worry for very much longer. I hope that’s not insensitive. I just think I might feel that way, which would make me more easygoing and joyful. There is a lesson in here.
Indeed he is.
If only I could...hugs!
I'm sorry to hear this. It is very tough when you love a friend to watch situations like this unfolding.
She is not retiring...
There is only one independent bookstore in this neighborhood and it has been here since 1984 called Bookswap of Carrollwood.
Yes, another revolution might help...
I don't think your remark insensitive, I think you are spot-on. It eased her to know the house sold.
A shame to hear of yet another second hand bookstore closing. Some of these can be rather depressing, others are treasure troves. I wonder what makes the difference.
I hate to see little local shops go under, especially bookstores. I blame Amazon.
Post a Comment