Monday, April 30, 2018

Simply Smashing...

I'm overdue for an annual exam by two years, so tomorrow, whether I like it or not, my chest is getting smashed and radiated, always a painful if short-lived process. The last time, I also underwent an ultrasound and discovered much to my delight that I had nothing cancerous.

 I've also scheduled further physical therapy and a new massage therapist and will be purchasing a used massage table that I can hopefully fold and store in a corner so that any massage therapists who visit will be spared the  wear and tear involved in hauling around a table. That, it seems, is the foremost reason given for abandoning home visits. Travel to and from is an added expense for me, and can hasten the undoing of any positive benefits from massage. Since this and physical therapy are my primary means of pain control, it makes sense to assist a massage professional in this way, especially since the massage therapist herself found a good quality used table and will help transport it. Her office, located on the second floor of an older building without an elevator, is beyond me at this point.

A grocery run is on tap for Wednesday, thanks to my neighbor and the previously disputed situation with the paratransit service has been resolved in my favor, due in large part to my doctor writing a letter and with my permission, spelling things out for them while also rather politely venting her spleen at their stupidity. When I last wrote of this issue, someone made the comment that the bus system is poorly managed and under used and therefore not worth the money expended upon it. If there were no bus service, there would be no paratransit for people with disabilities at all. Since there are those among us who cannot drive or depend upon the largesse of others to do so, our best bet is to improve public transport so that everyone can use it.

Thanks for all of your kind words regarding my last post. I have been fortunate to know some very special people, and I try, how ever possible, to use the lessons provided through friendship in positive ways.

Until Next Time...





6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck tomorrow. I am thrilled to hear that your access to the paratransit service has been restored. And wonder, sadly, what happens to those with neither voice nor advocates. Here their needs are simply not met.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your test! I hope all goes well. And that's great about your doctor writing that letter. Sometimes you need someone to be in your corner!

Wisewebwoman said...

"Smashed and radiated" sounds grim. Good luck. And glad u win the transit battle. I'm being more and more aware living with seniors who use assisted transit several times a week and feel privileged I can still drive.

I take far less for granted than I used to.

XO
WWW

jenny_o said...

I'm glad to hear that your transit issue has been resolved. And that you're getting a massage table to have at home. That is a great solution to several problems.

Steve Reed said...

I could not agree more that the community should invest in public transportation!

Secret Agent Woman said...

I have a follow-up mammogram tomorrow - more images needed after the one I had a few weeks ago. I HATE getting smashed.