Pot holes, plant debris, glass, punctures, tip overs and falls...All of these have happened in the years since getting my chair. Neighborhood dogs added to the mix, particularly when one of them decided to try nibbling a tire. According to the powers that now be at our local transit authority, none of these things should stop me utilizing our anemic standard bus system with trips on the shared van for wheelchair users and others only as a back up. Also, since I live where I do and not in a worse neighborhood, I was cut off from talking about barriers or problems because, well, those don't really happen here. Except they do and they have and there are safety concerns enough so that I no longer roll through the neighborhood as I once did, preferring the relative safety of my complex which still offers plenty of debris, occasional aromatic dog droppings and people aplenty who block my only access to the street with their cars.
Apart from the fact that I have previously been certified not once but twice for unrestricted use of paratransit service, and my disability is permanent, I now face the lovely prospect of an appeal before a committee and sending an unspecified person a letter should I choose to challenge this so-called decision. How I wish my friend Steve could tell the brainless about our adventures outdoors, and oh, the fact that I don't generally lie might be good, too...
13 comments:
Sigh.
And hiss and spit.
I am so sorry to hear this. And good grief is considerably politer than the thoughts which are springing to my mind.
It sounds like the power-that-be need to spend a day trying to get around like you do. Then maybe they would understand. You have more aggravation than you deserve. I'm so sorry about that. Wish I could help.
Nibbling tires. Oh my.
I'm sorry you can't roll through like you used to be able to.
Sounds awful. You would think that these issues would be taken care of.
I work with people in similar circumstances and so often they don’t even go out anymore because there is just too many barriers. I know some communities are changing but most, including mine, just ignore the problem.
Such a lack of sympathy. I would be spitting all day and every day. It's become like that in England too, we used to be a compassionate country before this lot got into government.
I am so sorry to read this, in a world where we are taught to be mindful - it seems people are only becoming more and more selfish, it saddens me so much.
So angry for you. I have come belatedly to my own handicap and the calculations I make about pedestrian accessibility when I'm out. I can't imagine how much tougher it would be in a wheelchair. And the impatience of others and often blocking access, etc.
Able bodied are oblivious most of the time.
I'm so sorry E.
XO
WWW
Oh brother! Being out and about with you certainly opened MY eyes to the challenges of getting around -- and that was on a day when we had a private car! I'm sorry you have to appeal this, but maybe you'll wind up with someone more sensible making the decisions.
Are you saying that the transit authority expects you to travel on a regular bus? Best of luck with your appeal; I hope someone gets fired, demoted, sanctioned or otherwise taught a lesson for this crazy decision.
good luck on this awful petition. i hope it all works out somehow. xo
Damn. That's absurd. Don't you wish the committee could spend some time in a chair and re-think their attitudes?
It has become like this in England too, now. Heartless. As if you don't have enough to deal with.
Post a Comment