The first thing the new girl did when sprung from her carrier was to look around, and spying the sofa, make a beeline for the farthest corner beneath it. Angel, meanwhile, sat across the room silently waiting to see what the wee girl would do. Hours passed until Samantha grew tired of her perch and dove under the sofa, emerging with a loudly meowing kitten in her grasp. Planting her in the middle of the rug, both older females circled, sniffed and looked her over, ultimately deciding she was harmless. This time, Angel took the lead, dragging the newcomer off to the litter box and then marching her past two sets of food and water bowls to a third, and swatting her when she ventured too close to the bowls that were not hers.
Bedtime was another hurdle. Just who would sleep where was decided when, after Sam and Angel found our kitten curled inside a hand knitted lap blanket, they both determined to go there as well. For years thereafter the three would sleep nestled together there on the bed while I was often made to feel completely in the way.
Phoebe as she came to be called, was a hider, terribly ill at ease with any human other than me and only at home with Sam and Angel. Terrified of any outside noise, the vacuum, toys that made sounds, the radio or computer, she spent large portions of the day beneath furniture or in my bedroom closet. Anxiety resulted in a condition known as PICA, in which cats eat non-biologic items such as bits of plastic, dolls feet, coins or other items. They do not ever stop once they start and Phoebe experienced two abdominal surgeries which saved her life but resulted in a very spartan house in which few things are ever left out.
When in her fourth year Jacob was introduced into our family, her fears intensified and it wasn't until Sam, and then Angel, passed away that Phoebe became slightly more outgoing and began seeking human contact.
Samantha died at the age of fifteen of cancer in 2008. Angel was seventeen at her death in November 2012 snd Phoebe was sixteen at her departure in 2016. Those of you who read regularly have seen the story of Jacob, the sweetest and most inquisitive of the bunch.
They all taught me so much, not only about accepting quirks, foibles and differences in temperament but about the bond between human and animal, the strength of which intensifies with time and the challenges of daily living. I now recognize this as precious and know that I actually prefer the company of animals to that of most humans. The fact of several close friends having died prematurely in recent years only heightens this for me.
I hope the new year is kind to all of you who visit here. Thank you for your care in reading and commenting. I look forward to further adventures in 2018.
8 comments:
Thank you.
Our cats are not adapted to other people. And I say cats even though only Jazz is left. When visitors arrive (rare) he growls and scuttles off to the safety of the wardrobe. A trick he also taught Jewel. Like you I prefer the company of animals to humans often.
Heartfelt hugs - and hopes for a gentler, kinder year.
I do love cats. They make such a difference for people who live alone. Dogs too but I am a cat person.
Happy New Year!
I loved the stories of your cat buddies. Beautifully written. A feline homage.
All the best to you dear E for 2018 and beyond.
XO
WWW
Happy New Year! :-)
Greetings from London.
I am enjoying your cat stories and it really comes through how much they meant to you. As a fellow cat person, I totally relate to that.
These have been such beautiful stories. Thank you for sharing these memories with us!
"I actually prefer the company of animals to that of most humans" You and me both :)
Happy New Year!
I can definitely identify with your affection for animals over people! (At least some of the time!) Have a Happy New Year, Liz! I look forward to reading about your adventures in 2018 -- and hopefully we'll have an opportunity to share a few!
I loved your stories of how you came to have all your cats. Again I say kudos for having so many integrated at the same time. That's not a small accomplishment! And count me in with those who many times prefers animal to human companionship :)
Post a Comment