Sunday, December 3, 2017

Saturday and Beyond...

It was a beautiful day here and though I was a bit nervous, the meet and greet memorial lunch for my friend went off well. The company was friendly and warm hearted, the stories many and the food was good. She would have loved sitting outside and having musical accompaniment as we did. In fact, I do not think she could have ordered a better afternoon for herself or any of us.

Since her passing four weeks ago, I've been thinking about how friends fill our lives and what that can mean for those of us not at home in or close to our families of origin. If I died tomorrow, my remaining family would have no clue who my friends are, which of them I spend the most time with or in whom I confide. Truthfully, I doubt they would care.

In meeting the neighbors, friends and a former colleague of my friend, it became readily apparent just how compartmentalized her life had been. Several of us knew a lot about portions of her life that others knew nothing of at all and it was rather an odd sensation for me to realize that of all of those assembled, only two or three of us knew her for slightly more than a decade.

This is partly because she moved a lot before settling into a house in her current neighborhood, a place which sadly, she only enjoyed for a little over two years before her death. An old hippie at heart, she strove to satisfy a wonderfully creative mind beyond the bounds of convention. Despite two advanced degrees, after a short stint in the hallowed halls of academia, she decided to work alone as a translator, researcher and writer, a situation which though it suited her spirit, did little for her bank account. Of the multitude of talents and interests she possessed, befriending diverse people of varied backgrounds came to the fore at this gathering.

She lived a life of the mind, rich in experiences including time abroad, study, music, reading, writing, editing, language immersion and fun with friends drawn from everywhere she ever set foot. While in need of solitude and privacy, my friend also threw parties, cooked and loved to play either guitar or piano, and sing.

She is also responsible for my nascent interest in the music of Stephane Grappelli and Django Rhinehardt. Unlike the late and much-lamented Django, however, though I also play left-handed, my mastery of the small Taylor guitar she helped me select remains minimal.

It was our mutual love of the Spanish language, writing, editing, research, libraries and books as well as the commonality of graduate school and having lived abroad that drew us together initially. What cemented our friendship despite distance, great changes and the passage of time? A bit of adoration and a lot of respect. I adored her brain and the places it took us in conversation. We could talk about almost anything and did. I will miss her voice in my ear, her laughter and the sometimes cryptic text messages I would find on my phone. The last of these, dated October 25, says simply,"Much love to you."

Her last request was to be scattered over the bay of her childhood home. It seems no matter how far afield some of us roam, the bonds and memories of our most formative time on the planet pull us back, sometimes literally, to the start, at the end.

Until Next Time...





14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Tt sounds like a wonderful afternoon. I think many of us compartmentalise our lives. I know I do.
Your last text message from her is something to treasure isn't it?

Live and Learn said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friend. She sounds like a person anyone would like to know. I know I would have. Thanks for sharing your memories.

37paddington said...

It sounds like a wonderful send-off, for one who lived and loved as she chose. Beautiful tribute to your friend.

Jenny Woolf said...

She sounds a most interesting woman, and one who lived life her own way. I am glad that the send off was appropriate.

e said...

Thanks for reading!

e said...

Thank you!

e said...

She was a character, and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely tribute to a dear friend. Thank you for sharing it with us ❤️

Wisewebwoman said...

How beautifully you write. You brought her alive for me. There are so few of these kindred spirits around, the ones who take pleasures in each others' interiors. I'm with you in spirit and loss.

XO
WWW

e said...

Thanks, Martha, for your interest!

e said...

That is a wonderful compliment, and very appreciated. Your observation is very apt. Our interiors are given short shrift, aren't they?

baili said...

A very touching post my friend!
you are very loving person who gave such beautiful tribute to your precious friend!
i am sorry for your loss my friend but still i believe that she enriched your life with very exciting and vibrant memories

A Cuban In London said...

Such a beautiful post. You're lucky to have had someone who touched you so deeply.

Greetings from London.

jenny_o said...

Lovely, thoughtful observations of your friend, her relationships, and your relationship with her. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. But how she enriched you!