Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Not Sure What To Say...

Rarely in my time as a paid writer and sometime-editor was I at a loss for words. With the death of my friend of whom I've written in several posts, earlier in the month, I'm finding it difficult to speak or write about a growing knot of complicated feelings. While some of these have to do with her specifically, the majority appear related to past losses, and particularly with the issue of repeated losses in a relatively short span of time.

Though my outer life may look calm to those who do not know me well, inwardly I roll from tears of sadness to anger to numbness and back again. My understanding of this cycle is that it is normal for those grieving a loss. Further, one loss can open a veritable Pandora's Box of emotions concerning past losses, whether they involve people, pets, unresolved situations or relationships. Add to this that most folks are ill-equipped to provide effective support and offer only the barest kindness or suitable verbiage to a griever and the whole thing soon becomes about how quickly one can escape to silence and the comfort of a cup of tea, a distracting book or their bed.

If I hear another well-intentioned, "Be strong," "You only get as much as you can handle," or "Your friend is in a better place," I may hurl the offending party or myself out of the nearest window, and make no mistake, though my legs are shot, I can easily benchpress over one hundred pounds, though such a sight would hardly be pretty and might attract very unkind attention.

Having no wish to be overly intrusive to my friend's family, there are also few mutual friends to whom I can turn at the moment. A lunch has been planned so that those of us in my area can meet. I have agreed to attend, more to memorialize her than to peer into a sea of unfamiliar faces, most of whom I've possibly only heard of in passing. For an introvert, such an undertaking requires thought, preparation and a steeling of reserves. I'm not sure who is co-ordinating this or who will show but it should be interesting. I'll be in the company of a total stranger who generously plans to pick me up and who asked at the end of our too-brief conversation whether I was up for the adventure.

Somehow, my formerly oft-uttered comeback of, "It isn't cancer and won't kill me," adopted following the passing of four of my family members from cancer, seems grossly inappropriate. Beyond this post and the paper pages of a bound journal, I'm keeping responses to a minimum. Dark-humored, especially in times of stress, I find that my reserves are now fumes and have no clue how to re-build them.

For those who will celebrate time with friends and family this Thursday, my best wishes. I'll be with two happily married gentlemen and various of their kith and kin.

Until Next Time...

17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Oh e. I am so sorry.
You are right about the Pandora's box of difficult emotions, which doesn't help you ride it out at all.
I believe we never get over grief. It changes us. Instead we find a way to (mostly) live with our changed selves.
Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring.

37paddington said...

You’ve had so much loss lately. I’m so sorry.

Live and Learn said...

Sometimes we need help to deal with our feelings. Because you are at the point of fumes, I think a visit to a doctor is appropriate here. Tell them how you feel--honestly. They should be able to help you with resources to help you through this dark time.

We are here to support you. Share with us anytime you want.

Birdie said...

Grief can be like a tsunami. It can be the smallest of waves but turns into a wave that can devastate.

There are no words sometimes. xo

Anonymous said...

Grief is difficult and complicated. We are your sounding board. Share and release right here on these pages. We're all here for you. xo

the fly in the web said...

One great grief brings in its wake the others...or so I find.
Leo has come close to death so many times.
And how the hell someone outside the grief cycle can help is beyond me.
Enough of the platitudes...which make me also want to do the utterers a mischief when I hear their trite remarks on how Leo...coping against all the odds..just needs to 'pull himself together'...
Just let them try it!
I mourn the man that he was...but rejoice in the man that he is.

Wisewebwoman said...

The shoes of grief are heavy and often wander off into past darkness es and can stay rooted in the quagmire of hopelessness for hours on end. I found the six months with my grief counsellor helped me immeasurably with the Pandora's Box of despair and longing.

My heart breaks for you. I still cry for Ansa daily but am aware now she represents the avalanche of the last 3 years.

XO
WWW

HBF said...

I can relate to being fed up with the "I'll be praying for you" or "You're strong, you'll get through this" and "There's always someone worse off." SO WHAT!? It still sucks!!! We can acknowledge something is awful without taking away from the fact that it's a subjective, temporary experience. Rock the suck. Be angry, be messy, and ride it out. Life has gotten messy on you and you can get messy right back. Lotta people just ain't comfortable with the unknown and abstract aspects of life like that... I'm glad you can share openly here and I'm glad you shared. Reminds me to check the judgments and accept where I am in my life. One day-hour-minute at a time. Hugs.

jenny_o said...

I'm sorry, e, and I'm thinking of you. Losses are like open wounds. They can heal, but only over time, and there will always be a scar. Like EC said, we are forever changed by each one.

I think your readers are not the sort to give you trite answers, so make use of us when you need to. Hugs, my friend.

e said...

Thanks. I think you are correct but navigating how you change is important.

e said...

Thank you.

e said...

My doctor's response when I last attempted a conversation about a recent death:

Are you staying busy? Do you want to see a psychiatrist? End of conversation and neither suggestion appropriate.

e said...

Thanks and yes, sometimes words fail...

e said...

As well you should. Best to you both...

e said...

Now, there is a man I would like to talk to...Thanks and hugs to you. I am not feeling hopeless, just tired and wanting to do some things differently...

e said...

Thank you for the honest response Hannah! Hugs to you, too!

e said...

I hope the change is for the better...Thanks!