Monday, November 13, 2017

Attrition...

It has been about four weeks since my last posting. In that time, repairs have been made to the rooftop of my building that involved temporarily removing and then putting back into place the air conditioning compressors for my above-stairs neighbor and myself after some repairs designed to stop leaks.

The weather was cooler which meant that neither unit was running nor did the apartments involved become too hot. Happily, this is the time of year, one can generally leave the air off for extended periods despite the fact that it has been a bit warmer than normal.
Alas, until it rains, we won't know if the leak issue has completely resolved. On the plus-side, however, we are but two weeks shy of the end of hurricane season and all I can say to that is, oh happy day. I am usually not as gleeful about December and the ensuing holiday mania, but the end of hurricane season this year brings some sadness as well as a sigh or two of relief. Thanks to those of you who have e-mailed in my absence here. Your concern and good wishes are appreciated.

Life continues to strip away, hence the title of this post. The friend of whom I've written recently and to whom I sent Spring and Summer blooms, has peacefully passed away. In her mid-sixties, she was someone I met in graduate school and with whom I maintained contact until her pain made that impossible just weeks ago.

A writer, editor, librarian and translator with a natural bent for languages, she could be both profound and maddening, was usually broke but kept her wry sense of humor and wit at all times, even in the face of escalating and unrelenting cancer pain. Her happiest moments were often in the outdoors or on a beach somewhere or singing as she strummed her guitar. In the decade or so since we met, she moved four or five times across States and we communicated largely by phone or e-mail. This was, apparently, nothing new to her. I often wondered whether her intensely creative mind simply craved the stimulation of new places and faces. It has taken days for me to wrap my mind around her loss. I will miss hearing her laugh. Wherever she found herself, her joie de vivre was always evident. The world is diminished by her departure. Much love to you too, my friend...

Until Next Time...






17 comments:

Blogoratti said...

So sorry to hear about you losing your friend. She must have led a life filled with adventure and love. Wish you great strength for today and always.

Elephant's Child said...

Oh e.
Your losses keep coming.
Heartfelt hugs.

e said...

Thank you. She was a fascinating character and she did indeed live and die on her own terms.

e said...

Thanks much...Sometimes all a person can do is accept what cannot be changed...

Live and Learn said...

It sounds like it was a priviledge to know your friend. May she rest in peace and may you find comfort in your memories.

Steve Reed said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. And hopefully those roof repairs will be sufficient! You've had a heck of a year -- or a couple of years, really.

37paddington said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. You will miss her, but it sounds as if she was a person richly worth missing.

e said...

Thanks.

e said...

Four...and yes, I agree...

e said...

Indeed so!

jenny_o said...

Glad to see you back here again, e. But sorry to hear of yet another loss for you. It's one thing to know it's coming, but it doesn't change the feeling of loss when it does.

I hope your roof repair holds up. It must be a bit unsettling having that still in question.

Hope you are taking care of yourself. These things make us fragile inside, whether we like it or not.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope all those lovely memories you have of her will help with the grieving process.

Wisewebwoman said...

Sooo happy you're back. I would have liked your friend.

You've had a rough few years. Me too. I hope we leap into sunshine together.

May your roof hold in more ways than one.

XO
WWW

e said...

I agree and thanks!

e said...

I would be up for leaping into sunshine with you anytime, and thanks, she was a wonderful light!

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm sorry you lost your friend and so many things this year. Here's to 2018 being a new chapter. Much hugs to you, from me.

e said...

Thank you. That is very sweet and I wish you hugs and happiness as well.